Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1975 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce 2000
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Can anyone remind me where the earthing strap on the Weber DCOE 40 carbs has to be mounted? My recollection is that it starts from one of the carb retaining bolts but I cannot recall where it is then earthed against. The one thing I did not record when stripping the carbs off last year…

All help grateful received as ever.

Kind regards
Mark

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,108 Posts
The carbs and airbox are electrically insulated from the head by the rubber mounts. You want everything at the same ground level to avoid potential sparks, which would be bad around the fuel. The strap ensures proper grounding.

In practice it's probably unlikely anything bad will happen if it's not there, but it's a good idea to have it and it's easy enough to install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can anyone explain why its needed?
Earthing / bonding cables are often used in petroleum fuelling systems ( big and small) to equalise electrical potential. If all components in an fuel handling system have the same electrical potential, then there is no possibility of static electricity being generated to the point that a spark can be produced. (we all know that static electricity generates high voltages and produces sparks right?)
Sparks from static are very bad when a fuel air mixture is present. (such as in a carburettor).
All fuels moving through fuel lines generate static and this static needs to be managed. Static is a VERY big problem at refineries and in aircraft fuel systems.
I've seen lots of photos of alfa engine fires. I would strongly suspect the little carb earthing strap was either removed or not working as designed and caused many of these fires.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I've seen lots of photos of alfa engine fires. I would strongly suspect the little carb earthing strap was either removed or not working as designed and caused many of these fires.
Really? I'm not saying it hasn't happened but in all the years I have been involved with alfa I can't remember ever seeing or hearing of a nord catching on fire from fuel let alone static electricity. But yes I know the straps there for static electricity. I'm not sure why I even posted that comment. Its also there because some cars had that pollution device on the carbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not familiar with the pollution device, but yes fuel fires are not uncommon... I havent seen the actual fires, but a number of photos Ive seen after the event (such as this one) seem to start in the right hand side of the engine bay. May be static, may be something else. I'm sad for the car. No doubt the fireys are looking for rust in the spare wheel well to see if she if she is a candidate for a rebuild.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
That car was too new for SPICA..so the 'probability" as the cause is off the scale.. Amazing how so often SPICA systems are blamed for maladies for unfounded reasons and ironically just because it was primary to US cars..

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
@alfettaparts2 I’m not even a big Spica fan. But showing a S3 fire and blaming Spica isn’t a joke. It’s just stupid.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Now, now boys, calm down..
Go to your corner for a 10 minute time out..:sneaky:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts