Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When my 65 Super was bought (in Meunster, Germany), there was no spare tire. My agent/friend there also noted that one wheel mounted was significantly different form the other three, see photos. The profile of the holes is very different. He kindly sourced a proper matching wheel with a nice Michelin 155 MX mounted on it for the spare. It has now been repainted and the Vredestein mounted on it and the 155 MX mounted on the "different" wheel for the spare. If anyone has a spare "smooth" wheel (4.5Jx15), I'd gladly purchase it for a spare.

Has anyone figured out a simple way of preventing the hupcap edge from scuffing the paint off the wheel at the outer contact point (pic #2)? Line it with some thin felt (that holds moisture!!)

In other resto news, Chris at Highwood Alfa sourced 4 NOS knife-edged mushroom-shaped small-ring clip-on hupcaps. Two are still in hte plastic coverings!! So far I've lost one of the original ones and recovered a 2nd that launched. The "wrong" wheel seemed to like to throw hubcaps (loose clips), and with them being near-unobtanium, this was not happy. And now Matt at Re-Originals says he found a guy in Italy who has the original dies for these early Super hubcaps and is making a run. Hope to see some of these.

-----------------

PS: this is a duplicate post of one I put in my "home" thread for info on this car. LINK. Would it be better to put info/news here or there? Seems like it might hit a wider Super audience here if it is of general interest. Any thoughts?? I know many early Super owners have found that thread but it's buried in the club news section. Perhaps I should re-direct info posts here??

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Love that car in white, .....:cool:

·
Premium Member
22,630 Posts
I had these on my first two TIs, and had Giuliettas caps on these wheels on the white 65 TI I sold to a friend a couple years ago. It's a good question about abrading the paint.
Beechcraft and other aircraft makers have anti-marring plastic overlay material, used especially on Bonanza engine cowls, where they rest against the lower panel when closed, to avoid chafing. That stuff, if small strips, might work. Likely to be pricey though.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Andrew, they were probably TI wheels and some early Supers got some as well at the crossover? Or someone replaced one with a TI wheel at some point (and no spare when I acquired). Do you have any spares?? The airplane idea gives me a lead. You know, even some type of tape might work, the grippier stuff, but getting the circle might be tough, perhaps apply to the back of the hubcap and then trim with a razor blade? Or a very thin close cell foam weatherstrip. Just don't want it to push it out too far and disturb the fit, seal or spring clip's grip. Jim (180out) always talks about "stiction" and it's ability to hold stuff together that once cleaned or altered, allows them to fly apart. I think that's what happened to the hubcap I launched into the netherworld.

Jerry, a very pure color for a pristine car. But Kristy says it looks like a small delivery van and does not show the brightwork well. I plan on bringing it to the Convention. Steve convinced me to put it in the concourse but I opted for non-judged as it needs lots of TLCleaning. CU there. Will you be with Super too?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Bringing my GTV, tired of fending off the women in sedan, I will leave them for you. That is no delivery van mister. Safe travels ....:):):)

Mine's a 1300 ti, still love the dickens out of it though.

·
Premium Member
22,630 Posts
Sorry, no spare early 105 wheels. All five I had are on the TI, which is no longer mine, though lives nearby.
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts