Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a supplier for these, the earlier Super gold c-pillar badges, ~33mm dia. I traced a small batch made by Mt. Carmel (out of stock now) to Highwood Alfa but do not know if they are in stock (Euro 15). Does anyone now the quality of them? Mt. Carmel (Uri) says they can make another run if these are needed and sell them via their site if more are needed. GiuliaBianca says he has resorted to scavenging these. Your input is appreciated.

On a related note, is there an easy/effective way to pry old ones off, and what glue is best to reapply, such that it will not damage the plastic emblem. B

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
I used a weatherstrip glue on mine (3M likely) that immediately ate into the plastic, not exactly what I was hoping for. I'd suggest a light/white/paint colorered silicone, rather than glue. You might test whatever glue you plan to use first to see if it reacts.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, thanks Andrew. That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to happen. Perhaps Uri has a compatibility suggestion, or Highwood. Maybe a superglue?

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
Superglue is really nasty stuff; I used to use it a lot on model trains, and it crazes polystyrene, so I would expect it to craze this plastic. I think you need something that doesn't have a petroleum-based solvent. I have used blue RTV successfully to hold on round Alfa emblems, and if I were doing it again that's what I'd use, as long as the gold piece is opaque enough to hide the color of the RTV.

Another problem with these emblems is people pry them off, invariably breaking them in the attempt and scratching the paint. I've had this happen more than once, back in the days when a Giulia Super was something you'd park in a bad part of town at night.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, no superglue. Perhaps the 3M helpline has suggestions. It almost sounds best to pry it off from the middle area of the badge out since it will probably break or pull the backing away anyway. And why would one use it again if they were removing it in the first place? If anyone has a fool-proof technique, let us know.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
You know, back in the early rap days, when kids were wearing VW and Mercedes emblems around their necks on chains, I guess someone wanted a Bolo Oro to upstage everyone else. Who knows why people steal stuff like this and ruin it in the process?
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Super badges-

I have a spare pair of the badges as pictured -also a pair of the alloy trapezoids they sit in, in very good unbent condition. Not sure what they're worth- I'm sure you'll tell me! Thanks, Fred.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they Uri's badges from Highwood? Are the backing for sale?

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Badges-

No I've had these awhile, I think they're from Alfa Ricambi when they were a going concern. Everything's for sale! I still have a very nice super clock that someone was supposed to buy but never came through- still $75.00 shipping extra.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I bought a set of Uri's badges (Mt Carmel Spares) and I quite like them. They're somewhat different from the originals but look very similar when installed. They're more of a soft, rounded plastic than the original hard plastic with beveled edges, but they do have the right kind of look, with the color below the surface seen through the clear plastic instead of on the surface. Hard to explain the differences - I should have taken pics side by side of the old and new ones before I installed. The only real issue I have with them is that they're soft enough that if you look closely enough you can see a tiny dip where there's a rivet in a hole under the badge. If I were to use them again I'd probably fill that rivet hole somehow so the badge mounting surface is smooth.

Compared to the only other option I've seen, which was basically a resized '70s vintage steering wheel center, these are very nice. Plus the price was good and I like buying stuff from Uri. :)

Oh, and Uri's are self-adhesive, so no worries about what glue to use.

-Jason

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jason, thanks for that great advice. What's the magic for popping the originals out? Especially without doing damage to the surrounding area? While sacrificing it, is digging it out from the central area viable? Thanks.

Here's a mature original.

PS: when comparing, the gold doesn't appear to be as richly colored in the repros, but that may just be the photographs & lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Those are in great original condition !
Why would you want to replace them ??

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One is fair, the other is less than fair. Then they probably won't match. What does the committee say?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Most body shops have a double-sided adhesive tape that is VERY strong (made for adhering trim, etc) that I imagine would work quite well for this application. Then if removal was necessary, 3M adhesive remover would loosen it after a few sprays, no problem (and no paint removal).

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason (above) says Mt. Carmel's come with adhesive tape already applied. But for a NOS or used one, that is a great idea.

Now as to getting it off "gracefully" with minimum collateral damage . . . I'd be inclined - for a very bad condition one - to attack it from the middle out.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Like This

Randy, like this also??

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
No, the silver part is too wrinkled.....

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are getting old . . . like us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts