Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group,

What material was used on 1955 Sprints for headliners? I have heard a version of mohair was used, but have never seen it. My 55 has the "snakebite" vinyl faced cloth at present, but am unsure if that was original as all other interior upholstery items had been recovered at some time. If "snakebite" vinyl is the original material, any leads on a source would be appreciated.

Vern in Oregon

PS: What I refer to "snakebite" is a vinyl faced cloth material in a lite ivory color that has 0.060" holes approximately 1/4" appart in a repeating offset pattern that form small diamond patterns throughout.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't know what was original on your car, but worlduph.com has sprint headliner with a "snakebite" pattern. Check Classic Alfa for other patterns.
Sfourza

·
Registered
161 Posts
Vern:
My 59 Sprint had the original headliner with a diamond pattern and not the snakebite that I think it came later. I got a new identical liner from Re-Originals in Houston, TX. Enrique.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Giulietta sprint headliner material

zzarchi,
That looks like the same pattern as on my '61 101 Sprint. Here's a photo of the original material from my car. I got matching new headliner material from Classic Alfa.
Sfourza

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,854 Posts
The earliest cars had a very light white-gray 'felt' type headliner, slightly hairy.

Uncle Divotandtralee would call it "rat fur"...

Later the 750's used a white diamond patterned vinyl - heat embossed diamond pattern. My '57 Sprint 05880 still has the original headliner in diamond pattern

My October 101 has a snake bite headliner - this may have been replaced but looks pretty old.

I'm out of town on a bike race, will check my archive pictures when I get back home.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tom F2,

Can you describe the material, I can make out a weave of fabric, but not much else. Is their a felt like texture over the base weave, what color do you think it was originally. Is there a piece that might be preserved behind some trim that might give us a better idea. Appreciate any info you can share.

Vern in Oregon

·
Registered
116 Posts
My '55 has its original headliner, which is in a woolcloth similar to what you'd find in a Lancia Aurelia of the same vintage, though not exactly the same colour as a B20's grey or brown. The sprint colour is a beige/brown, paler than the Lancia type and I think the texture is a little less smooth.

I've not tried to find an un-faded bit of cloth but there probably are some parts folded behind that would give a good clue as to the original shade.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alfabjorn55,

I purchased my headliner material for my 55 Sprint 01365 from AFRA, they called it "light grey roof fabric" . The code # is 1493267030101, and the cost was 260 Euro in 2015. They were very helpful and knowledgable about these early Sprints. Contact Arianna at: [email protected]

Vern in Oregon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Vern,

I will contact them and hopefully they can provide me with more info and better pictures than on their web.
Do you have any close up pictures of your headliner?
According to previous owner, headliner was not made of vinyl for this car, probably thin grey fabric with glass fibre.

//Bjorn

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bjorn,

My camera and my computer are not communicating right now, trying to get it worked out. So I can't send you any pics right now, I do have a little of the headliner scraps left over, if it will help you I could send it over in an envelope. Let me know, glad to ship you a swatch, send me contact info to my email: [email protected].

Vern in Oregon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts