Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping a friend rebuild the front end on his 84 which has a different swaybar link setup than the later S3 (like my 87). His swaybar links are the dog bone style. The top of the dog bone definitely press fits to the swaybar. What I can't tell, because we can't get it separated, is the bottom of the dog bone pressed to the drop link which is secured with a nut? With that nut removed, we can't budge the dog bone like we think we should be able to seeing as its nutted.

So is it press fit and nutted, or slip fit and nutted but seized?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Short answer, yes it's a press. Longer answer, it's kinda weird -- I'm found a good bit of variability in the fit between different drop link bolts and bushings. For removal, I've generally had good luck with a tie-rod puller of the type shown below, with a small 1/4" drive socket as an extension of the driver part. But one side was so frozen that the rubber of the bushing gave way before the metal pieces separated. In the process of reassembling now: The replacement drop link bolt from Classic Alfa was definitely a press fit, whereas the original one from the other side of the car is just snug, to the point where I think I'm going to add a little red LockTite to avoid the possibility of steel-on-steel movement down the road. Also, one thing I learned in this exercise is that the replacement bushings ostensibly have an internal taper, and the rubber part has a mark indicating which side goes on first. Again, some parts seem to have more of a taper than others, but does help to observe the mark. And finally, the dogbone is not symmetrical -- it only goes on one way for the suspension pieces to line up correctly, so if you take the whole thing apart, mark it and keep track (don't ask me why I know this).

·
Registered
750 Posts
just install the end links carfully, mount the bar to the car loosly, then bounce the car a few time, a little silicone spray lube on the sway bar bushing helps, then tighten the sway bar down. i am using 14 mm rod ends on my sway bar end links

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
slip fit and nutted but seized

1 - 6 of 6 Posts