Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm trying to replace my old original thermostat....looks like a 50MM socket!!?? I/m thinking channel locks...but that could get ugly if the 40yr old part is siezed on. Anybody have a recommendation on how to remove it?

Thanks,
Rp

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I think I can profer some advice here. I have seen alot of the manifolds with out thermostats over the years. These are either all or nothing propositions and a very common problem. Problem is brass/aluminum plus corrosion with out anti-seize results in a stuck thermostat. Put the manifold in a vice wrapped in a towel to prevent gauling of the surfaces. Soak the thermostat with PB Blaster with as much as you can get into the threads of the thermostat. Get a good pipe wrench if you can't find a suitable socket to fit. Channel locks or vicegrips etc won't even touch this one. Get a good grip on the flanges with the wrench and apply a steady heavy pressure on the thermostat. You should be able to break the threads loose if you put enough pressure on it. Once it starts to move work the thermostat back and forth to loosen the threads, with a 1/8-1/4 turn until it works free. Installing a new one with anti-seize will aid in the removal of the next one. It is possible that the threads are trashed and you won't be able to get a new one installed. Hope this helps you some.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Velocedoc,

Thanks for the advice...I'll scrap the channel lock approach. I assume "putting the manifold in a vice" means carb removal. As I have no vice, nore a pipe wrench...this sounds like a job for an alfa mechanic with experience.

Rp

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Velocedoc,

Thanks for the advice...I'll scrap the channel lock approach. I assume "putting the manifold in a vice" means carb removal. As I have no vice, nore a pipe wrench...this sounds like a job for an alfa mechanic with experience.

Rp
You might be able to do this on the car if you can find a socket big enough to fit ( 46mm) . I would hesitate to say to use the pipe wrench in the car because if you slip you can damage the body or your hands. Neither is very pretty. I converted 46mm to fractional inches...the size of socket you need is 1 13/16" (I think I am correct). Expensive socket for a one time use. Most likely will need a 3/4 inch adaptor to 1/2 inch.
Christopher

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
It's a penetrating oil (not unlike WD40?) that's used to free up frozen and rusted parts. Christopher's method is good but you can also apply heat to the end of the manifold, allow to cool, then heat again before trying to turn the thermostat with the pipe wrench. It will break loose eventually but do be careful not to damage the threads, as I'm not sure that it would be economical to have any damage to the aluminum repaired. Better to take your time and work in extra penetrating fluid if the thermostat only comes out so far before sticking. Good luck!

Alex.

·
Premium Member
22,253 Posts
I've use a pipe wrench on ones that were really stuck (can tear up the thermostat some though). I also have an old Crescent wrench with pretty fine threads and not much slop that will work on these kinds of things.
Andrew

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VeloceOne...do you think a small plumbers gas bottle will do the trick or do I need to find a freind with a full-on oxy acet torch?

Thanks,
R

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would think that a plumbers torch would do the trick, need lots of heat quick. ( heat the aluminum around the thermostat) As has been mentioned by others, if successful use never-seize or similar product on threads when reinstalling.
Regards

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
What hasn't been mentioned yet, is what if I can't get the thermostat out? Then you have to knock the guts out of the thermostat and cut it out with a hack saw blade, with the hopes that you don't screw the threads. It is possible that the manifold threads are so corroded you can't get a new one back in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There are almost always intake manifolds on e-bay. Most go for around $100, weather old-style internal t-stat or newer bolt on style. BTW, has anyone bought one of the manifolds from the guy in Germany? They always look like new.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
those brass thermostats are pretty soft. If you just gut them it's pretty easy to collapse them with a steel drift and a dead blow hammer. Once you've done that they come out really easy. Just be careful not to collapse the aluminum of the intake manifold...

Did it with the manifold I installed in my Giulietta. Took about ten minutes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks All

Quick heat and a pipe wrench...15 minutes. No damage to threads.

I kept the old thermostat...quality is MUCH better on these old ones than the new one I got from centerline. Next time I see an NOS thermostat I'm buying it.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Rp

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts