Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did early GTs(64-65) have a chrome strip top padded armrest? I have a 65 and mine is solid skai upholstery covered.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The early cars' armrests differed from those on later cars: no chrome trim, no top and bottom halves.

The early cars' armrests were a thick vinyl skin filled with rigid foam, which foam seems to have a limited life: it turns to powder and leaves the skin hollow and floppy. Restoration would involve refilling the skin with the appropriate liquid foam and allowing it to solidify.

BTW, SKAI is the German manufacturer of the high-grade vinyl that Alfa and others used: Transportation - skai

Chuck

Photo of a '65 GT, AR611530

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They also have a rectangular metal frame within them.

I'm going to get some of these armrests made up. More details soon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Armrests...

Please advise when you do....Are anchoring points with the door the same?? D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I make them they will use whatever the standard mounts are - and will be as close to the originals as possible. I have a pair to work from.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
early GTs armrest

hi,i have been boarding on obsession over these arm rest,it would be nice to have someone make them i would buy a pair if and when,i have post a picture of my door card missing the arm rest,but as you can see the impression shows a shape that seems be different from originals,any ideas? thanks chris,ps must not keep worrying about these and get on with the big jobs,

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
My GT Junior 1966 with chrome strip top.

With your email I will send you 2 pictures.

Infortunately I cannot join pictures trough forum, I apologize .

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Apologies to the poster for a quick diversion but I can't help myself as the timing here is perfect. I'm trying to join the Early GT club and found a good car that is missing the passenger front seat. Is finding such a thing considered a life's work or doable?

Thanks and sorry again for butting in... I'm literally on the cusp of making an offer on a barn find.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You will find seats as they rust slower than the shell. Don't let a seat hold you back. I've seen a few listed here and in other places in the recent past.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
dear Chris..

for Chris Hedley

Chris, If you were to trace the outline of the contact face of 39cub's armrest in his earlier post, I reckon you will see that the impression left in your door card would match it. Of course, one problem you still face will be reinstalling the anchoring plate/bolts.

As an aside, 30 years ago My GT had disintegrated armrests as Pancho has described. As with most other parts at that time, these were a available secondhand or not at all. Instead, I laminated a copy of the shape up from 3 or 4 layers of plywood. varnished up, they looked great, and the current owner has kept them installed. You could carve the shape from just about anything if you were going to cover it - it would just have to be strong enough to withstand the pulling forces, which of course the plywood was.

It seems Pancho is looking to reproduce them, which is great.

Paul.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I approached a UK manufacturer of interior trim several years ago and had an approximate quote of £3500 ($5600) to reproduce these arm rests with a modern hard foam core (no steel internal structure needed) and heat-moulded vinyl covers. A lot of people ask about these early rests, but would enough actually pay to get the correct ones? I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yikes! I've bought 4 complete early 105's for less than that. Though sadly even though that was 5-10 years ago, those days are over. So surprised there aren't more ways to cheaply manufacture things these days. I'm just waiting for the next generation of 3d printers. A friend has a rather expensive one and I find it close to useless.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yep, old school skills are worth every penny but new technologies aspire to be convenient and affordable. An armrest (and a pretty ugly one at that) should be easy to scan and get lost wax cast/ injection molded/ cnc'ed etc then vinyl wrapped. Just my depreciating Australian 2 cents :p

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Proper tooling takes skill and experience to make and therefore costs money. Why are people amazed by this?
IMHO the best way to do this would be to make a mold of a good arm in RTV and then cast them out of a hard urethane. Cover with vinyl using contact cement. Very little skill involved and the result would be quite acceptable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts