Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have some early 1600cmm engines, with the number plate in the right side, but without numbers. For Giulietta and Giulia

Anyone have an explanation for it?

Thanks

Hans J. Jensen

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to tell, that the engine in the Picture is newer with oil filter cartrige. I have two older with oil filter insert

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Replacement block that has not been stamped when installed or somebody has removed the numbers ...

Apparently replacement blocks had no numbers as there are other threads/posts on this topic :)
Pete

·
Super Moderator
11,225 Posts
Dealers were sold blocks and engines for replacement up into the '70's without numbers as replacements for customer damaged engines. (OR racing replacements!) In the USA, dealers seldom, if ever, re-stamped original numbers. These are correct replacement engines for any (same period) restoration, and thus carry a value premium over numbered blocks that may be numbered for a different application. The 1600 unnumbered blocks seem to all have the reinforced rear main bearing cap that seems to have appeared around '64 in Veloce 101 1600's. These are great build platforms.

·
Super Moderator
11,225 Posts
Unnumbered block number pad. Blue thing is anodized plug in oil gallery as this block is drilled to lubricate all 5 main bearings. Often when numbers are milled or removed, the casting marks on the bottom edge of the number pad disappear.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I see now all three are with the older oil filter insert. One has to be an early Giulia 0526A. The other 2 are Giulietta.

The Picture is Giulia
Regards
Hans J.Jensen
Hey Hans, Do I see numbers stamped on the left rear flange that the bell housing bolts up to, circled in red. Right side of picture of the engine in the picture. If so what are the numbers?

Later engines were stamped in that location leaving the pad on the intake side un-stamped.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
I think Ken has it right......
Numbers stamped on the trans end means it is a late block.
Oh, and Mr. Raymond, no numbers only confirms that the block is NOT an original one for the car. Oroginal blocks have numbers in the correct font....

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
When did the oil filter cartridge end? I thought S1 1750? I haven't seen an engine number stamp on anything before S1 1750.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
When did the oil filter cartridge end? I thought S1 1750? I haven't seen an engine number stamp on anything before S1 1750.
My '71 S2 1750 still has the cartridge type oil filter.

I'm confused by your engine number comment, though.
Pete

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sorry Pete. Should have proofread it. I mean s1 1750 was the earliest I had seen the engine number stamp on the rear flange near the bellhousing

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
Sorry Pete. Should have proofread it. I mean s1 1750 was the earliest I had seen the engine number stamp on the rear flange near the bellhousing
Cool ... I wonder why they changed location?
Pete

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Cool ... I wonder why they changed location?
Pete
1969 models have a pre-heat tube for the air filter. It gets the warm air from a plate mounted close to the block. This plate covers the cast in pad for the motor number, so Alfa just began stamping the numbers on the trans pad.
Here it is, the black area behind the distributor....

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all

I have now examined my second 526A engine from mi Giulia Biscione, June 1969. can now see that it is identical with the former engine. I have also a 1750 ( 548) with the same character.

Now I clean the two Giulietta engines without numbers ( after New Year)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts