Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With my recently acquired 61 Giulietta Normale project, it had a AR1315*320xx* veloce engine installed with the correct sequenced serial # Weber DCO3 carbs. I have verified that the engine runs, though I just started it but did not drive on it. I have an oil change paper sticker from 1977 and it looks like between the odometer reading on the sticker and the odometer on the speedo are about 66 miles. The last known date it was driven was in 1977. Obviously it would need a refresh.

Here's my question. I've seen these engines go for quite a bit of money. In the neighborhood of 10k for the engine and 8-10k for the DCO3 carbs. I'm curious as to what this community thinks the going price is for one of these engines and whether it's something I should sit on or offer up as there's no pressing need to sell it now?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You mention that you had this ['59 Sprint or Spider Veloce?] engine "installed". Do you have the original Normale 1300 for it? That's a pretty darn nice engine and carb set to have, even if you're keeping or planning on selling it. I'm sure a '59 Veloce owner without an engine would love it, or anyone else, for the right price, as it sits... needing everything for someone with an empty engine bay's restored car. True value is relative, I would think. But I nice combo to secure.

To have the complete set rebuilt and restored correctly could be an enormous amount of cash in itself unless you're the one doing it with only parts acquisitions. Do you know in which 1961 month your car was built?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mention that you had this ['59 Sprint or Spider Veloce?] engine "installed". Do you have the original Normale 1300 for it? That's a pretty darn nice engine and carb set to have, even if you're keeping or planning on selling it. I'm sure a '59 Veloce owner without an engine would love it, or anyone else, for the right price, as it sits... needing everything for someone with an empty engine bay's restored car. True value is relative, I would think. But I nice combo to secure.

To have the complete set rebuilt and restored correctly could be an enormous amount of cash in itself unless you're the one doing it with only parts acquisitions. Do you know in which 1961 month your car was built?
Typo, "it" came with the project. The engine I also received was a correct 101.02 Normale 1300, unstamped. I'm likely to make it a 1400 and drop that into the car and take this veloce out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ahhh...Still a very nice transition-era engine to sell, or keep anyway. My original-to-the-car engine and trans came with about $6500 in receipts for their rebuilds, as a price barometer, but that was a few years back. I too am interested in what the veterans here think its value is complete. Some people wait for years for the right parts like this to show up.

So many variables when it comes to the condition of everything from the heads to the block, etc, however. Kind of risky to buy at a high price, but I'm sure you realize that. Interesting post for future comments.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
If you wanted to bring top dollar you could stick it on BaT with a short video of it running. The fact that it is complete and runs would go a long way to the right buyer.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I’m thinking that the best move is to keep this engine till a 59 sprint/spider veloce w/o engine show up. Tearing it apart yesterday looks like everything was added to this spider (round regulator, speedo, tach, bendix fuel pump, key/ignition switch, rear end ratio, harness mods done really nicely, etc). Other than the front split air dam, Stamped F and this being a 101, it’s basically a veloce tribute! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts