Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was the depicted exhaust manifold here below exlusively used in early 750 cars or did it also occur on the later 101 1300 and 1600 cars?
My early 1600 Sprint (August 1962) is equipped with this particular one piece manifold and I´ve always wondered if its an original feature for my car or maybe the two piece one, as I always thought was used on 1600 models, was replaced with this current one after it maybe once cracked and the then owners just grabbed what was handy for the moment as a replacement.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Dennis

There are three of those 2 piece manifolds:

1 = Early 750 up to about '60 - has a 4 bolt fixing at the bottom flange where the 2 inner holes are split - 1315 part number

2 = Late 750 early 101 - to the end of 1300 production, has a 6 bolt fixing at the bottom flange where each flange has 3 separate holes - 1315 part number

3 = As above but a 10112 part number for the 1600's, slightly bigger & just a bit longer to allow the exhaust to clear the floors with the taller block

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ops, wrong manifold in the pic above, should have been this one, 1 piece manifold instead.

Thanks for the comment Greig.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Hi Dennis

The 4 into 1 manifold was fitted to the early 750 Sprints, Spiders, Berlina's and Ti's through into early '58 when the 2 piece with the split bolt holes was used on the Sprints and Spiders

The 4 into 1 continued to be used right to the end of Ti & Berlina production

The 2 piece manifold in your first picture (4-2-1) tended to crack in the join of the bigger section, which is why Alfa put a strengthening web into the later 10112 version for the 1600 engines.

I guess your one also cracked and the easiest one to find was from a Berlina or a Ti

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess your one also cracked and the easiest one to find was from a Berlina or a Ti

Ciao
Greig
Yep Greig, that´s about what I started suspecting too after it came to my knowledge that the 4 into 1 was that early (up to ´58?), thus my 1600 Sprint is far too young for it and it most probably couldn´t have been installed by the factory. I have by chance sourced the proper 2 piece manifold already some years ago, but changing that would also require swapping the whole exhaust system because of the mountings and as it still is good, I think I´ll leave it to the next generation caretakers sometime in the future.....

Dennis

·
Registered
54 Posts
Exhaust manifold wanted

Hi there
I'm looking for a new set of exhaust manifold for my 1963 Giulia spider 1600 (the 1-4 cylinder is cracked). The two pieces are marked 10112 (see pics). It is not a must for me to find an original set. In Europe looks to be a hard-to-find part (I asked dozens of reseller, the one that declare availability asks more than 400 Euro). Some suggestion? Many thanks
Andrea, Italy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Andrea,

I have often seen these cracked manifolds welded together again, although I´ve no idea about how long a repair like this losts....

You should check out Ebay from time to time as these use to pop up there pretty often....although they got expensive lately, but not as much as you state....

Dennis

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The problem with welding cast iron is due to the high sulfur content and high carbon content. The area adjacent to the weld tends to crack. I think that you can find a welding company by looking on the Internet that might be able to repair your manifold. Good luck!

·
Administrator
3,814 Posts
Thanks Andrew

A friend of mine has a perfect set that have been Jet-Hot coated in gunmetal grey, he did them for his car (Giulietta with a 1600 motor) but due to engine mount configuration they fouled somewhere and he wasn't willing to adjust the motor, (trust me it's a tight fit on the original 1300 mountings), so had a custom set fabricated. He is willing to sell for what he has in them + the coating. I'll hopefully get pictures today.

Ciao
Greig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts