Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a set of bumpers from my 1974 Spider (parts car) to retrofit my 1978 Spider. In doing so, I will be modifying them to match the Euro style and repairing some damage on the front right side (it was in a crash). I will be removing the large rubber bumps (don't remember what the word is for these) and patching the holes left there, re-finishing the rubber, and repairing the plastic on the right side. Then, the steel will be polished. I've been trying Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish with nice success bringing the metal to a moderate shine and removing minor scratching. Brackets will be made to adapt these bumpers to the 1978 model year.

Here is an inspiring article about rubber bumper restoration from the MGB folks. The product they use, SEM 39104, looks like it could be used to restore the rubber of our Spider bumpers. In my case, I will need to do this because I will be filling the hole left in

Pictures attached of what I'm starting with.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
There is a thread following other ways of doing this, but this seems like it may be a better idea.

The other thread is here.

Mo in NJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I ordered this, the aerosol version of the bumper coating, to ensure coatings are applied evenly. The solid part of the bumper around the hole was slightly distorted, so I cut away some additional material. I produced a paper template and cut out a piece from a sheet of 1/16" neoprene. I fit the neoprene to the hole and covered it with silicone caulk from the back. Now it will sit and cure. In a few days I'll pick it up and check, filling the gaps on the front side. Then I must wait for the rubberized bumper coating spray to arrive, up to two weeks as Amazon is slow these days. I also ordered the replacement lenses for both sides, as only the Euro version is available these days. When those arrive I will be able to continue work on repairing the plastic area of the bulb mounts on the damaged side.

@mmarvi thanks for the link, this is a good reference.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silicone on the back is still curing and several coats will be applied while I wait for the sprayable rubber to arrive. On the front the new section wasn't quite flat so I used silicone caulk to flatten the rubber plug, applied the same way you might apply plaster to a wall with a putty knife. Good thing I have practice working with plaster doing electrical work in my home.

By the way, does anyone have a source for the rubber seal for the turn signal lens? Somehow one is missing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the product from Amazon and made a test patch on a piece of paper. My first observation is, this is just black paint. Perhaps as the can says, it is flexible so it will not chip. However, it is not rubber. I have no experience painting on rubber but, it seems this would leave a coating which looks more modern than the original rubber deserves. I've looked into the actual rubber coating options, the ones I haven't tried such as FlexiDip appear to leave a rough surface finish. I have had great experience coating parts of other projects in Rustoleum FlexiDip. Beuatiful smooth rubber coating that has stood up for years. However, Rustoleum specifies the product lasts only "up to 6 months" and I don't know what this means. It seems a bit of a risk to try, but I am lulling over either this black SEM bumper paint or rustoleum flexidip. Flexidip test sample is drying in the garage right now, will post that when it is available.
 

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top