Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what interior colors were available, please? My Super has an exterior color of AR501(Alfa Rosso) inside is Sakai Black (looks Charcoal). I am considering a different (original color) possibly a nice tan. If anyone knows a good vendor for seat covers and fabric for panels, that would be helpful too....thank you for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
The parts manual(s) lists the interior colors available OE. Depends on year/SN. It would take a small table to replicate this or a lot of scanning, some 20 pages but here's a summary for early RHD Supers ONLY:

To S/N 862,000 (65-67) - 9 door cards* (cloth & vinyl), 9 door kick trim panels (vinyl), 9 armrests (vinyl), 6 rear ash tray faces (vinyl), 9 seat cushions (cloth & vinyl), 4 seat plinths (plastic), 4 carpets** (Wilton)

S/N 862,001 - 880,000 (68) - 5 door cards, door kick panels, armrests, ashtray faces, 7 seat cushions, 4 plinths and carpets

S/N 880,001 - 4/70 (69) - 4 door cards, 1 armrest, 0 kick panels, 4 ashtray faces, 6 cushions, 0 plinth, 1 carpet

The basic colors described for 65 thru 67's for doorcards* for example are:
- lamp black gray
- blue and pearl gray
- fawn/camel leather color
- beige
- brown leather
- pearl gray
- lamp black
- briliant red
- dark brown
Carpets** were:
- lamp black
- dark blue
- fawn
- red

These were mixed artfully with the other interior parts in good harmony and also complimentary (most of the time) to body colors.

For example, my white 65 Super has lite blue velour door panels, pearl gray vinyl door kick panels, pearl gray armrests, seats are lite blue velour with pearl gray edge trim, pearl gray vinyl ashtray faces, royal blue carpets (black throw carpet mats in pic below).

You can peruse the picture folder to see various interior combos.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Anfanuts

This is the info , I got from Fazio at Alfa historical;

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 330849 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Super (105.26), engine series AR 00526, manufactured on the 4th May 1966 and sold on the 30th May 1966 to Alfa Romeo Inc., Newark USA.

The body color is Alfa red (AR 501), with black skai interiors.

I was hoping not to go so dark, that's why I asked , I guess I will have a lot of research; as I was just thinking of picking an original color of 67 other than this dark Gray even though it says black; maybe some tan with black carpet and tan door panels and AR501 on the outside...but I think I will need to do more research, I REALLY do appreciate your help, but I did not realize it was so complex

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
There is a good paint chip color chart in some thread and I recall it had interior swatch colors also. A softer fawn/beige, or medium/pearl gray go well with the bright red. But there are a lot of parts to consider for a Series 1 car: door panels, kick panels, rear ashtray faces, plinth, armrests, seats (cushions and sides), the 13-pc carpet set, lower seat back kick. That can run into money unless you find a totaled car with a good interior that works.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear what your saying, I will get some pictures out on the topic, this evening and I will follow up with some of your suggestions, as it does make sense...lt could cost a lot..again all the info you are sharing is fantastic and I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
I think the color and interior choices in the US were more limited than what was available in other markets. I don't have a US color chart for 1967, but I do for 1971 and the only interiors offered were black, natural, and maroon (you didn't get a choice; each exterior came with only one interior choice).

I've seen US Supers with red, tan/natural, black, and dark grey seats. If they offered blue here I've never seen one. Just a thought re US-market cars.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
You can see above how the choices were narrowed from S1 (65-67) to 68 to 69 even. I have the 72-74 Unificata Parts Manual also and there ARE fewer choices yet. The 68's eliminated the lower kick panel trim. The 69's went to only black armrests (solid rubber and not skinned). Dumbing down through the progression. Other trim elements likewise cut back.

Based on the fact that Paolini sells a carpet set for $600 or so, add in the other stuff new and it coiuld come to $2000-3000 for stuff alone unless you can find it used and good.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Super Interior Colors

The body color is Alfa red (AR 501), with black skai interiors.
My first Super had these colors listed by Marco and the "black" was really Grey.

If you are in Washington State, I have two really good upholstery guys you should use. One did my grey interior in vinyl and the other did my brown one in leather.

Send me a message if you want contact information for upholstery guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
Yes, grey and black in this era can be tough to tell apart.

As long as we're posting, I just had my seats done. "Natural" for a 67 Super is really a kind of tan/orange, bleaches to a lighter color over time, at least in the western US.
My guy was good, did one car for me 30 years ago and another just now. I also have a cheap guy in East Oakland I use for noncomplicated stuff, but I wouldn't trust him to get Super seats right.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
The lampblack black skai looks like a dark gray. The black carpets on early ones are called "salt and pepper" as they have multiple fibers and look dark gray also. Yea, an upholstery shop can do it also, what was the cost Todd?

But there are 4 door cards, 4 arm-rests if not in complimentary color or later black rubber noes, 3 seats (2F/1R), ashtray faces (2), the seat plinths (s), and carpet. Part of a major or rolling resto but not for a quick hit rehab?? Best of luck in your deliberations.

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
My seats were $1200. I had them done 15 years ago, was $1400 then including some welding and fixes to the frames. In 1985 was $300!
Andrew

·
Registered
665 Posts
Upholstry Costs

The lampblack black skai looks like a dark gray. The black carpets on early ones are called "salt and pepper" as they have multiple fibers and look dark gray also. Yea, an upholstery shop can do it also, what was the cost Todd?
I did not do door cars as mine were fine. The grey back seat upper and lower in vinyl was $1200 but then I found a guy a bit further out of town and he did my current brown interior front and back and carpets for $1800 and I wish we had smello-vision because they are in fine Italian leather and boy do they smell good!

...and Andrew, I love that color you have. Those look perfect!

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
some interior pictures...

Well as you can see , she is an old car and needs some help, I do appreciate everyone's help. I think the cards are stacked against me. I was hoping just for some new seat upholstery and the door cards and arm rests to be redone, and do not want to dye them or have them painted, so maybe just seat covers in the same color for now. Any idea of costs for cover(factory ones and or who has a decent price) maybe I could do the covers myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
That's a fair price for leather. Mine are vinyl, yes it's a very good match for the door panels. When I picked them up it looked too dark, but it's fine. It's better than the old material, which was less orange and more lifeless looking. I've had first-time upholstery guys says they'll never do another Alfa or charge a lot more, due to all the lengthwise stitching, and the complex shape and need for ties to pull back concave surfaces. These ain't Mustang or Bug seats.

Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts