Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Randy(101/105guy) for highlighting the need for the rubber diaphragm that seals the lid and keeps the moist air away from the fluid. He first provided the information in Bruce's thread about his amazing Super here

The reservoir that was used on the early dunlop brake 105 series cars (Ti, Sprint GT, early Super etc) does not have a maker's mark. It should have a rubber diaphragm inside it.

Sorry for the photos of a dirty reservoir but I havent 'restored' it yet. Soon!

The diameter at the bellow part is 65mm, just small enough to fit through the opening of the reservoir

Gavin has been able to provide the parts numbers for the Girling diaphragm which should fit the Dunlop brake correct reservoir.

Brake reservoir diaphragms. These are available in Australia from Earls Performance products: Earl's Performance Products Australia - Home Email: [email protected] Ph: 61 2 9748 6011. Talk to Martin Fell. The Girling part number of Moisture Barrier Diaphragm to suit large reservoir is 64478356 (the reservoir on the left in photo). This reservoir has a diameter of 76mm (2.99 inches) so the diaphragm will suit the reservoirs used for Dunlop and ATE brake systems. The outside diameter of these, measured at the thread is 3 inches (78mm). Incidentally the original Alfa part number for what they called the "Moisture Separator" was 105 14 45 536 01. The Girling diaphragms are compatible with all modern brake fluids. Gavin

Another thing to help minimise brake fluid spillage(nasty!) is to make sure there is a rubber o-ring fitted to the bottom connector. See this thread.

If any info is incorrect or you have more to add to the discussion, please do!:)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Great thread here:)

The reservoir that was used on the early dunlop brake 105 series cars (Ti, Sprint GT, early Super etc) does not have a maker's mark. It should have a rubber diaphragm inside it.
Probaply original reservoir is Italian made as it has Italian "max level" text.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Both of my reservoirs have original diaphragms made of that dark orange rubber, I'll have to see if there is a maker's mark on those. It's probably an ATE item, but I wouldn't discount Akron.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Earl's Don't Fit

If Earl's sent me the correct part, the top gasket is about ~2.5" outside diameter. The "Dunlop" wide-mouthed canister (for want of a better description) lid is ~3.0" inside diameter. The bladders I received will not fit. They slip right inside by a good margin the ID of the canister seating area.

I believe if you read their catalog carefully they are for a 3" "nominal" OD Girling canister which would put the lid ID at about 2.5" for seating/gasketing purposes. That is just not big enough for the "Dunlop" canister. I have asked Earl's for clarification on the gasket area OD.

For the time being I have cut a round 3 1/16" piece of thick freezer bag plastic and put it above the rubber gasket we made. That will allow some movement but not allow brake fluid to slosh out of the hole.

PS: this might fit "inside" of the rubber gasket we made. I'd have to think about it's sealing seating surface a bit to ensure it would seat and hold.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Has anyone found a correct bladder for these? Any vendors out there want to spend $5k developing them and selling 30 units?? :(

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How about an idea to make some sort of "double-wall" inner cap to reduce sloshing? Or adapter that allow to use too small bladder under the plastic cap?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
We made a brake fluid compatible rubber top gasket. Then I cut a heavy walled vinyl freezer bag circle (3" dia) to fit above that. So far no slosh out the weep hole. Will monitor.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Time patience and some help from Alex found me one, NOS in bag via e-Bay AU. Pretty rare. I have seen them in a reddish and black.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Funny that, I, in the US, got a tip from a friend in the UK about this one for sale on e-Bay in AU. Small world. I have not seen one for 4 years. Perhaps one is still in an early parted car? As far as aftermarket, I did a lot of research (seew way above) and did not find anything. Vendors sell new canisters without EVEN a top gasket. I had to make one.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Can someone remind me of the assembly order of the threaded outlet/nipple at the bottom of the reservoir? I took a couple of really good reservoirs apart at the beginning of the year but the metal parts have only just returned from the platers and I have mislaid my notes. I am also fearful that some parts have been lost in the process, gulp.

Particular questions:

1. What are the precise dimensions of the washer(s)?
2. There is a thick washer which I believe sits inside the reservoir. Close examination shows that it might be designed to fit with one particular face downwards. True?

Any photos showing more detail than the Sprint GT parts manual would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Alex.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here you go, Alex.

I don't have the dimensions but can measure if you need them. The relative sizes shown may do the job?

You'll note the teflon (PTFE) washer and conical copper crush seal that I used.

The teflon washer fits on the inside, to provide some additional sealing (I just don't see how metal-on-plastic can seal against a brake fluid leak, though that's what Alfa did).

The copper seal is to compensate for irregularities on the flares on the bottom connection. (I'm told that NASA uses these same copper seals, so, heck, it can't hurt, right?)

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Thanks Chuck - that's very useful, and almost certainly confirms that some washers have gone astray. Neat copper seal! I did not know that these existed.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
(I just don't see how metal-on-plastic can seal against a breake fluid leak, though that's what Alfa did).
Until the fittings leaked. Alfa then issued a recall to replace the metal fitting reservoirs with all plastic reservoirs.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Is it true that Alfa issued a TSB to insert a length of flex tubing into the early large reservoir hard-piped line to allow for expansion and vibration, as the later ones (69 anyway) are?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Until the fittings leaked. Alfa then issued a recall to replace the metal fitting reservoirs with all plastic reservoirs.

Jim, do you happen to have a copy of the recall letter or other documentation?

I have high hopes for the PTFE washer "fix": the material is a bit compressible, so it should give a far better seal than the steel washer alone ever could have. And the PTFE is brake fluid proof so degradation should not be an issue. So far, dry fittings...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
The conical copper washers that you are using look like the same washers we use to use on early BMW air conditioning lines. Where did you get yours?

Thanks, Rick

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Jim, do you happen to have a copy of the recall letter or other documentation?
Don't have the actual recall letter but please click below for 'non-current recalls' (note the date of the document) that lists the change to an all plastic reservoir as recall #89 1021.
Also attached is an Information Sheet (the predecessor of the TSB) describing the installation of the plastic reservoir.

Bruce,
I have no documentation that a rubber hose was used for expansion/vibration purposes. This doesn't mean though that such a document doesn't exist; it means only that if this document exists, I don't have a copy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts