Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Am with you on continuing to use E5, Sam. The lithium in electric car batteries is far nastier environmentally (mining, processing, shipping, disposing of) than any difference between E5 and E10. Just politics, big business and appearing to be doing something, as far as I can see. Electric cars help with local pollution levels, not global environment/impact.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Bit of an update, the plastic tank on EU cars seems to be the same as the Brazillian ones, or am I mistaken?
If so, surely the tank at least is easily E10 compatible.
All my fuel pipes will be E10 compatible once the rebuild has finished. Leaves injector seals, vibration damper, the pump and internal tank fixings as question marks. Still using E5 super fuel until 100% sure of the weakest links though.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Interestingly, the only difference I can see with any fuel tank area parts Brazillian/EU/US market wise is the plastic filler pipe, which seems unique to Brazil. All rubbers are showing as the same.
Engine bay wise, showing difference in the rubber pipes between the fuel rails and the injectors.
Am assuming M7 is the designation for the Brazillian market. If am wrong, please ignore the above...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interestingly, the only difference I can see with any fuel tank area parts Brazillian/EU/US market wise is the plastic filler pipe, which seems unique to Brazil. All rubbers are showing as the same.
Engine bay wise, showing difference in the rubber pipes between the fuel rails and the injectors.
Am assuming M7 is the designation for the Brazillian market. If am wrong, please ignore the above...
I think M6 is brazil designation, well, it is on a phase 1 anyway.
Engine bay hoses are the most likely to be different as they are carrying high pressure fuel to the rail.

Brazil 12 valve models list different rails and injectors

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks, Sam. At some point will be swapping in 4-hole injectors, probably not until next year though. All my rubber hoses are R9 under the bonnet. Will shortly be R9 tank end too. Have yet to understand how fuel feeds from one end to the other though. Steel or plastic lines?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, Sam. At some point will be swapping in 4-hole injectors, probably not until next year though. All my rubber hoses are R9 under the bonnet. Will shortly be R9 tank end too. Have yet to understand how fuel feeds from one end to the other though. Steel or plastic lines?
They are nylon feed and return from the tank to the firewall, from there you have a small bit of rubber joining both the feed and return nylon lines to the rigid steel plastic pipes in the engine bay, it's these two little bits that cause massive problems, as they are a total arse to replace with the engine, clutch master cylinder and driveshaft all in your way, possible, but not fun in the slightest.

Then, from the rigids at the back of the engine, it's just what you see under the bonnet which you probably know about all too well at this point aha.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
OMG. That sounds like a total 4 or even 7-letter word. And I don't just mean 'darn'. Think mine are currently OK engine side, either side of the metal lines. Am going to see how things are tank side in the next day or 2. Will post the results.
Thanks.

·
Registered
753 Posts
12v 164’s in the US had a recall in ‘93 or ‘94 if I remember correctly, to replace the fuel filler because of e10. I was disappointed when the cool filler cap was replaced by one of those stupid click when it gets too tight ones.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The stupid click is to make sure the cap is tight enough, not to stop it from getting too tight.

Gas cap seal is vital to prevent unmetered air entering the intake via the fuel vapour recovery system.

If the gas cap isn't tight enough the ECU throws a CEL fault.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts