Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, occasionally I run into a mystery part and this is one of those times. New in my possession is a E. Nardi steering wheel. I will describe it as best I can and follow with photos when I get a chance. The wheel is circa 1953-1965 as best I can tell. It is 17 inches in diameter with a 80mm horn button receptacle. The hub is machined onto the wheel and is specific to a particular make. The splines fit my 1962 FIAT OSCA but, the horn button is too large. So, it is obviously a FIAT based car, anybody know which cars had an 80mm horn button? There are many possibilities!
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards, "Z"

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Pictures certainly would help to narrow down if it is a '50s or '60s steering wheel. '50s wheels have rivets on the wood rim (as seen on this repro wheel with a thicker rim than original); '60s wheels have a dark ring in the wood (similar to this one).

If it's a '60s wheel, it should have a date stamp on the back side of the vertical spoke, as seen in attached picture. The stamp is a small square (about 8mm side length) with three lines: Made/year/Italy (where the year is a 2-digit number). This should help you to find out the year of manufacture.

Sorry, can't help with the horn button diameter. Mine is 84 mm (for a 2600).

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info

Based on your knowledge, this is a 60's wheel then. There is no date stamp on the wheel though. As I mentioned before it does fit the FIAT 118 bodied car's steering shaft but, I have 3 of these cars from 1960-1963 and all three have a much smaller horn button. Also the diameter of the wheel leads me to believe it is earlier. The hub is very similar to the FIAT hub in basic construction but, differs in shape and location of horn contact. Photos tomorrow.
Best Regards, "Z"

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OSCA, Fissori, Zagato???

Here are a few photos, perhaps one of these will fire someones memory. If we are not careful, such knowledge will pass into oblivion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I can tell at this point the 3 most likely candidates are: OSCA, Fissori or Zagato.
Best Regards, "Z"

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
As far as I can tell at this point the 3 most likely candidates are: OSCA, Fissori or Zagato.
Best Regards, "Z"
I'm not sure where your wheel is from but it could be from a Fiat 2300. The Fiat version of the Nardi wheel was quite peculiar in the sense that the horn button was quite large and extended onto the horizontal spokes (see attached picture from an old eBay auction). This would require some mechanism to keep the horn button oriented this way, which is what the notch near the bottom spoke of your wheel may accomplish.

The fact that your wheel is 17" in diameter indicates that it must be from quite a large car (with heavy steering). Many wheels of this period have dual switches, with a center button to activate the horn and an outer ring for flashing the high beams. The three holes at the bottom of the hub are there to attach an apron for the steering column -- which seems to be missing on your wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly a possibility but, the hub is not the same. There was/is an apron that is different than the one sent by tubut with a contact ring for the horn on the back side of it. This set the horn off on the FIAT 1500S when installed because the horn ring is attached to the indicator stalks on the roadsters. I would think that the horn button on the 2300 would operate in the same manner as the roadsters but, Since I have never looked that closely at a 2300, I cannot say for certain. The diameter of the wheel certainly does point to a larger car until you look at the steering wheel of the roadster which is the same size. Do you know the dimensions of the horn button on the 2300? That would surely help.
Thanks, Z

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
No, I don't have any measurements of the Fiat wheel. The seller at the time also wasn't sure what Fiat it was for. He just thought "must be for a larger Fiat."

BTW: I didn't buy the Fiat wheel because I found an original wheel for my Alfa 2600.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That appears to be it!!

This Fissore wheel appears to be identical. The wheel is now sold but, I am still curious. What is the diameter of the wheel in the Fissore? I have never seen such a car! WOW! Very Nice!!!

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Here's a guess about the Nardi steering wheels. Nardi supposedly farmed out his production to lots of small suppliers, including individuals who literally made steering wheels at home on their kitchen tables. The image of small scale Italian craftsmen (and women) turning stuff out for Nardi in Turin kitchens is beguiling and probably more or less true. It's just possible that the wheels with the upside down logos were made by the same person on his/her kitchen table. Not wanting to waste scarce materials (or piss off a craftsperson) Nardi likely sold 'em on to Fissori and Zagato at a discount. I should add that I have nothing but some rather scanty information to go on here. Still, it makes for a good story. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts