Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The feel and sound of the pull of the e-brake lever has suddenly changed on my car. It used to engage and click nice and bright, now the pull is definitely harder and I was hearing a few pops coming from the rear end. The brake does engage. When I look at the rear end, the cabling assembly for the e-brake seems to have slack to it. I don't remember if that slack was already existing or not. Does this sound like and issue with the lever or the shoes/springs?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the cable (as in it's starting to freeze).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, but freeze? It's going to be 90 degrees here tomorrow? Just kidding. Not to sound dumb(which I am), but what does the cable starting to freeze mean? Is this something that just needs lubrication or do parts need to be repaired/replaced? I'll try anything, I just don't want to take something apart that i don't need to. I've seen a couple posts that both deal with the lever ratchet and the rear brake shoes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if one or more of the e-brake linings have delaminated from the metal shoes, you would know it because the wheel would not turn freely due to the lining becoming an obstacle within the drum.

it would be worth pulling the e-brake handle vinyl/leather boot back and checking the hardware on/around the handle. On my car, the plate to which the curved ratchet piece is bolted had separated from the larger plate on which the whole handle assembly is mounted (and bolted to the transmission tunnel) because its spot welds failed.

Papajam is, I believe, using the non-temperature meaning of the word frozen, as in seized. The cable runs within a sheath, but when the sheath gets old and cracked, stuff gets into it and causes the freezing/binding/seizing.

The cables aren't expensive or difficult to replace. John

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Papajam is, I believe, using the non-temperature meaning of the word frozen, as in seized.
Guilty as charged.
Freeze; to become fixed or immoveable, motionless.

The outer insulating rubber covering on the cable can deteriorate over time. This can allow moisture, water, etc. to enter the cable resulting in the inner cable and it's outer sheath rusting together. Fairly common on all makes of motor vehicles actually.
Not saying for certain that this is the problem but the symptoms sure point that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts