Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to the dyno shop today 07/28/2007 after lunch. I had scheduled two 3 pass sets, the first would be stock and the second would be with ST chip installed. This shop uses a Dyno Dynamics 4 wheel dyno - not the more popular Dyno Jet. I do not want to get into this dyno is better war, but this shop is very popular with the Sub/EVO crowd here in Houston. Here is a picture of the 164S on the rollers.

The battery was unplugged for 5 minutes before starting the dyno runs. Here are the results for the stock chip. This is the traditional Torque and HP graphs.

Here is the Air Fuel Ratio and HP graph.

The results - 161 ft lbs of torque @ 4600 RPM and 162.7 HP @ 5700 RPM. From the graphs you will see that all of the curves are right on top of each other. The dyno operator commented that the Motronic must really be consistent because the curves are nearly identical. The dyno operator stated that a loss of 20-25% could be expected through the driveline. Working backwards, and using the lower of the two numbers ( front wheel drive ) that puts the car right at the factory rating of 200 HP. Not bad for a Alfa V6 with 138k miles.

Next came the task swapping the ST chip with the car strapped to the dyno. This proved harder than expected. The dyno operator went to lunch, so I had a 30 minutes to swap the chip. It was much harder than expected because I do not think the ABS box and ECU had ever been out. I ended up taking the ABS box and the ECU with bracket out. Both side panels also came out, to make the job easier.

Now the ugly - with the new chip in place the car would not start. I took the ECU apart again and removed and reseated the chip again - no dice. A few more attempts and still no life to the car. I ended up putting the stock chip back in and the car fired right up. It seems the ST chip does not work. I will keep you updated from here.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Well I went to the dyno shop today 07/28/2007 after lunch. I had scheduled two 3 pass sets, the first would be stock and the second would be with ST chip installed. This shop uses a Dyno Dynamics 4 wheel dyno - not the more popular Dyno Jet. I do not want to get into this dyno is better war, but this shop is very popular with the Sub/EVO crowd here in Houston. Here is a picture of the 164S on the rollers.

The battery was unplugged for 5 minutes before starting the dyno runs. Here are the results for the stock chip. This is the traditional Torque and HP graphs.

Here is the Air Fuel Ratio and HP graph.

The results - 161 ft lbs of torque @ 4600 RPM and 162.7 HP @ 5700 RPM. From the graphs you will see that all of the curves are right on top of each other. The dyno operator commented that the Motronic must really be consistent because the curves are nearly identical. The dyno operator stated that a loss of 20-25% could be expected through the driveline. Working backwards, and using the lower of the two numbers ( front wheel drive ) that puts the car right at the factory rating of 200 HP. Not bad for a Alfa V6 with 138k miles.

Next came the task swapping the ST chip with the car strapped to the dyno. This proved harder than expected. The dyno operator went to lunch, so I had a 30 minutes to swap the chip. It was much harder than expected because I do not think the ABS box and ECU had ever been out. I ended up taking the ABS box and the ECU with bracket out. Both side panels also came out, to make the job easier.

Now the ugly - with the new chip in place the car would not start. I took the ECU apart again and removed and reseated the chip again - no dice. A few more attempts and still no life to the car. I ended up putting the stock chip back in and the car fired right up. It seems the ST chip does not work. I will keep you updated from here.
Was the chip NEW?
Does it have the anti-copy devise under the chip? if that was tampered with it will not start the car.
Also make sure that the notch in the chip lines up so it goes in the right way.

I have this on my S and it is a great improvement.
Jason

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will contact the seller. Here is what I received.

The notch was lined up the right way. There is nothing under the chip, so I assume it has come off or maybe the previous owner has it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well and FWIW. when I have been to dyno days here in colorado w
the ALFA club. The hot 12v 3.0 v6s put about 160-165 hp/tq down.

One club member claims that his big valve s cam 12v 3l is putting
down nearly 200 lb/ft of torque w ljet. I'll believe it when i see it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having dyno'ed many a GTV6, Milano, and a few L-Jet Spiders, this number seems to fall in expected realm. With a rate 200 HP, the dyno seems to back that up crank number. Many a car guy has been humbled when his supposed high HP car is disproven on the dyno. The dyno shop I used has nick named their dyno "the heart breaker". My disbelief in claims was the point of the dyno test.

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Yep, he sold you a bum chip andrew! There is no anti-copy chip under the main chip. It will not run without it. Basically useless now.
best I can do is have Stephan make another one from that one but there is a fee. Cheaper than a whole new one though.
Let me know if I can help.
The ST chip is sort of a piggyback chip, like two chips together! You can see where it use to be.,

I don't have a chip in at the moment but the chip should be doubled in size like this:

Each Squadra chip in delivered with a copy protection device. Never remove this device. The engine won't start without this.

Jason
[

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
Jason,
Any chance you have a better picture of the anti-copy piggyback chip?
No sorry. All the chips I had in are sold and or sent back for the same problem your having not a common problem but some mechanic's butcher these things and rip the anti-copy chip off or think it does not belong there since it does not look like the original.
I will have a few in stock again in about 5-7 days. I can shoot some pic's then or I guess I take mine out later if you really really need a picture?

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts