Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All;

I’m experiencing a rather bizarre problem with my ’84 GTV6. While I’m driving, the engine will suddenly die without warning. When this happens, the alternator light illuminates briefly before it and all of the other warning lights go dark. In addition, there is a loss of all electric circuits controlled by the ignition switch (i.e. wipers, blower motor, window motors, etc). After a few moments, the dash lights return and the car again will start. This may happen only once or several times in a row. Up to this point, it has occurred only after the car has been driven for several miles and is at full operating temperature. Other than the propensity to leave me stranded for minutes in awkward places, the car performs flawlessly. ;)

From the symptoms, it seems to me that the ignition switch that I replaced a month or so ago is the likely suspect. The intermittent quality of the problem makes it difficult to make a firm diagnosis, however. Has anyone else on this site experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
Vaughn
New Albany, IN

·
Registered
847 Posts
I knew of someone who had this exact problem, of all things it was a bad switch/connector in the engine bay, I want to say the thermostat switch..

while the car is parked and running, try gently jiggling some of the switches, see if any turn the car off by touching them with ease. (obviously not right, like a bump in the road) I guess these can dirty and loose over time, although its rare.

S

·
0 Posts
This is word of mouth, however, very reliable sources have told me that the OEM ignition switch is junk, and will cause the very problems you are encountering; it should be replaced with an aftermarket unit when possible.

Some people move the switch off the steering assembly, also. I have a toggle button to make the car "live" and a push button switch to start the car.

Good luck, in any case.

David
1986 GTV-6

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would as a cheap test try to swap out the fuse for the FI.
Think it is number 5. I had intermittent issues like this until
my fuses all settled. Sometimes all I needed to do was twist the
fuse around to make sure that it had a solid connection.
The wiring can be interesting in these cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep

My car does the same thing! Usually I cant start it unless the dash lights come on. I may have to turn the key off and on 6 times before the lights come on and the car will start. Every once in a while it will cut off when running?? I think the ignition switch is bad. Have you figured anything out yet on your car? Thanks, Steve 1985 GTV6

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had the same problem with my GTV6 too. The local shop has told me it's the ignition switch. But I haven't replaced it yet to prove them correct.

Will

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Not sure if you will find the same thing if you attempt to change the ignition switch, but my old GTV6 had the "non-tamper" retaining screw holding the switch (a round head screw with no slot is all that remains after the head is broken off during initial installation). I used a dremel grinder to remove the head, and the retaining screw.

Also, I had intermittant starting and running problems, and the expert at the nearest shop just said "Check the bundle of ground connections at the rear of the right hand cam cover". He actually said this about three times. I cleaned and retightened the grounds and the problems disappeared.

I've had the same problem with my GTV6 too. The local shop has told me it's the ignition switch. But I haven't replaced it yet to prove them correct.

Will

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If this wasn't an Alfa, I'd say check your alternator output. But since it is, then the ignition switch. Since you've already replaced it, definitely re-check your work and of course, the grounds under the dash (you may have disturbed changing-out the switch) and the aforementioned one's from conedrivers post.

Good luck, the electrical problems on these vehicles (that leave you stranded at inopportune moments, cost you money for tows and rental cars), are what really take away from the overall enjoyment of ownership...

Perhaps that's why the fellas that enjoy their cars most are the racers because they gut their cars and have no amenities! hehe

BTW - I once had a similar issue ('89 Gold) due to a short in the passenger side dome light draining the system...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dying Problem Solved.......Hopefully

I profusely apologize for being so long in responding, but had other responsibilities that required my attention. After deducing that the only plausible cause of the problem was the ignition switch, I contacted the vendor. They told me they had not any others with the same complaint. What they did agree to do was to sell me a second switch with the understanding that, if it cured the problem, they would refund the cost of the second.

This past weekend I installed the new switch. The car has not died unexpectedly since that time. This has been true even for distances at which I would have previously experienced several instances of the engine dying. In addition, I had also occasionally experienced some problems with the engine failing to restart when warm. While I did not determine this was due to the faulty switch, I have not suffered any recurrences of this since, either.

Although both are Sipea switches, I did notice some differences in their appearance. I suppose it's possible they were manufactured in different factories.

At this point, at least, it appears as though the problem is solved. If that does happen to change, I’ll certainly pass it along.

Thanks to all who responded with their suggestions.

Vaughn
New Albany, IN

·
Registered
122 Posts
GTV6 glitch

HI Vaughn. I don't recall seeing another GTV6 in New Albany. I Lived there '93-95 in Doe Creek. My '82 (orginal owner, still have it) dropped dead once years ago in traffic, and found that it was due to the impact sensor (with the ball bearing in it) getting corroded internally. Located on the passenger side fenderwell. I bypassed it. Also my car periodically won't start. I discovered that if I pull down the fuse box and give each fuse a turn it will start right up.
I lightly sanded the contacts and thought I was done then one day last year it quit in traffic. Same cure...gave each fuse a spin and she cranked right up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts