Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I’m looking for some feedback from anyone that has tried dyeing their carpets in recent years.
The carpet in question is the walnut brown color from an 88 Spider.
As you know, the carpet is rather large and not easily fit into a container to soak it in.
So my cousin (whose car it is), even asked about sponging the dye, or spraying the dye, while still in the car. The interior is already stripped apart.
I have read a couple of the threads on the BB, but looking for any other info, ideas, etc. that are out there.
RIT appears to be a common brand of dye used.

I will admit, we are not expecting perfection, but a significant improvement would be nice. Some of the areas have turned a little orangey looking.
If all else fails, he can buy a new carpet set (it is his money, not mine). But for the sake of a few hours, we figure why not.

Attached is a pic of the carpet in the car, and some sitting on the shelf in the background.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think a lot of people fall back on spray "painting" their carpet rather than actually dyeing it. The carpet in most Alfas is a synthetic blend and not an organic fiber, making it much harder if not imposible to actually dye. I would think your success would be highly dependent on which way you are going on the color scale. Light to dark - pretty good chance of success. Dark to light - not so good.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It may be easier to go to a full black interior, dye the carpet black. Use SEM vinyl dye for all door/related plastics. Spray the dash to make it look like new. See if you can power wash that carpet. It looks super dirty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same color in my 87 Graduate.
I purchased from one of the upholstery vendors here the carpet dye in spray cans the almost exact color match.
When my seats were out I cleaned the carpet and proceeded to spray paint the carpet. Ended up using a soft fire brush to kinda work it in and must say after it dried seats went in and a set of floor mats It don't look half bad.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same color in my 87 Graduate.
I purchased from one of the upholstery vendors here the carpet dye in spray cans the almost exact color match.
When my seats were out I cleaned the carpet and proceeded to spray paint the carpet. Ended up using a soft fire brush to kinda work it in and must say after it dried seats went in and a set of floor mats It don't look half bad.

Was you carpet badly or mildly faded?
Do you remember which product you used?
Does using the brush also help prevent the carpet fibres from getting crusty?

It would seem be so much easier spraying it in place!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes my carpet looked "Piss Yellow"
Sorry I don't remember the product but might still have some ill poke around in some boxes later and see if I find it.
Yes the brushing seamed to cut back on "being crusty" but I won't say it feels perfect but looks descent.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I just went through this process last fall.

I tried two different liquid carpet dyes. One from Detail King and the other being Rit. Both resulted in completely unsatisfactory results. The synthetic fibers just won't take the dye.

I then tried the spray paint style dye, also from Detail King, which is a Hi-Tech brand product. (color HT-230 dark brown). I used the spray and brush technique which resulted in a finished project that I'm reasonably satisified with.

Below is a before picture -- I'll post an after picture on my next post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Here's the after picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I sprayed it in the car. Considered taking the carpet out as I had the dash and A/C out -- but decided to leave it in.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I ended up only using 2 cans of the spray dye as I had made some progress with the liquid dye.

The coverage of the spray surprised me as I was able to make about 3
"coats" over the entire carpet.

If I was starting from scratch I'd order 4 cans. At $12 a can you don't have much to lose if you have a can left over.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rit type dyes work much better if "set" with acid. Use vinegar in the hot dye solution, soak and rinse. Sorry, I don't remember the amount of vinegar. The odor will come out.

If I were to do it I would make a "tub" of 2 by 6 lined with black 5 mil plastic, set in the sun for heat.
wash first with dish soap or dilute Purple Power to get out oil, rinse, dye soak and rinse.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nine months later, and I'm finally ready to do this. The carpet is out, washed, and currently drying.
Based on some of the comments here, and other info I have found on the BB and the internet, I'm going to try black RIT dye, and then if necessary, touch up with Dupli-color vinyl and fabric paint.
The Dupli-color spray is straight forward, and only if necessary.
I'm still open to anymore info on the RIT dye process.
I'm going to boil water in a cut-down steel drum (about 1/3 of a drum - with maybe 12 gallons of water), right on big propane burner.
What would be most helpful is figuring out the right mixture of dye, water, and vinegar.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I look forward to your results on this as I need to do my manual car sometime - it has the light tan/mid tan/orange tan mix too.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Good luck Mike. Sounds like it might be kind of messy, and since you're working with permanent dye, you can't be too careful, or put too much visqueen sheeting down (to avoid spill damage).
Ideally I would want to do the project outdoors in good weather, but just be aware the dye might permanently stain concrete and asphault and may not wash out even with a pressure washer. Spending lots of time on setup is the key to a successful operation with no regrets.
Also, the dye may not adhere real well to the synthetic materials in the existing carpet, i.e., the more plastic in the carpet content, the less dye can impregnate and set, and the higher the likelihood that residual dye will transfer to shoes and other items coming into contact later (even after it appears to be dry).
I would advise testing your dye mix on a small area first before you do the entire carpet set. Allow your test specimen to fully dry, make sure you're happy with the final color, and then rub a white cotton T-shirt rag over the sample area to see if any of the dye transfers to the rag.
Would really like to see your before and after pics too.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm definitely worried about making a huge mess, and that is why I think I'm probably going to do it on the backyard grass.
As for adhering to the carpet, that is what the vinegar is supposed to help with, let's see.
I think between the dye and vinyl paint, I should be able to come up with pretty good results... here's hoping.
Its also worth mentioning its my cousins carpet, and he's more than willing to dig into his deep pockets and buy new, but why not try this first.

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rit type dyes work much better if "set" with acid. Use vinegar in the hot dye solution, soak and rinse. Sorry, I don't remember the amount of vinegar. The odor will come out.

If I were to do it I would make a "tub" of 2 by 6 lined with black 5 mil plastic, set in the sun for heat.
wash first with dish soap or dilute Purple Power to get out oil, rinse, dye soak and rinse.

Bob
https://www.ritstudio.com/techniques/tips-for-successful-dyeing/

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a bit of an update.
I really dreaded the idea of having to deal with the dye and having to figure out who to dye the big main carpet.
So I decided to try painting the trunk carpets with Dupli-color Vinyl and Fabric paint - Flat Black.
When they turned out pretty good (granted they were still dark brown), so I decided to forget the dye and just paint everything.
The main rug has a good first coat, while others are pretty much finished, other than touch ups.
Once the main rug is complete, I will post pictures.
By the time I am done, I will have used 5 aerosol cans.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts