Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of a quick fix for my 164s, I went to Autozone and picked up a Duralast pulley #231018. Has anyone used one of these? If so, what's the trick? The i.d. of the bearing is smaller than the oem so the bushings don't fit, and it appears to be narrower. I know I should use an original but need to get it back together by the weekend! Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I second the Ford one for a quick fix. I've probably got 20,000 miles on one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! So if I get the Ford pulley, what shims, bushings, spacers, etc; do I need, I'm guessing that it's not a direct replacement either?

·
Premium Member
27,304 Posts
Thanks for the replies! So if I get the Ford pulley, what shims, bushings, spacers, etc; do I need, I'm guessing that it's not a direct replacement either?
If you looked at the picture you see it has the spacer and bolt in it. Bolt is a little short but you can use it as is out of the box but I suggest you use blue loctite on threads as bolt won't come through arm enough to install nut.

I used longer 164 bolt and Ford washer under head so I could install nut.

You might need a washer on inside to space pulley out a little from arm.

You have to get the YS-233 kit to get bolt and spacer.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Late post, but I had to do this right before Christmas, and went with the Saab pulley (discussed on other posts on here) that I purchased from an import auto store.

A little more expensive, but no shims or other bearing insert were required, making it a quick job.

I looked at the BMW pulley they also had (also discussed on here), but it needed a bearing insert also.

Bottom line for me is the Saab pulley is quick, easy and a little more money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts