Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the small spring part that holds the automatic adjustment cylinder internal to the Dunlop rear brake. The attached photo shows both the broken part and the intact piece from the other side. While doing a rebuild of the brakes I managed to loose account of this little part. I ended up finding it under my foot in 3 pieces :(

BTW - Despite what I read on the posts about this adjustment mechanism being a bit unreliable I have great hopes of getting mine to work..... maybe..

Regards, Al

Attachments

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,881 Posts
You can buy these components from AlfaStop in the UK

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
I will have a complete set of rear brakes off a 65 TI sometime in the next couple months, specific date unknown. Happy to help then if you still haven't solved it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
BTW - Despite what I read on the posts about this adjustment mechanism being a bit unreliable I have great hopes of getting mine to work..... maybe..
I rebuilt mine last summer, and they seem to be more self-adjusting than before. We'll see how long that lasts :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I didn't see the part I need listed on the AlfaStop site. I sent a specific request to see if they have it. I'll be impressed if they keep the little bits like this on hand. Richard, I hope things are OK for you in Christchurch. It's sad to see the news about the earthquake.

Andrew, If I can't get things worked out otherwise I may take you up on your offer. I'm considering fabricating on from beryllium copper (1/4 hard) and then heat treating it. The old kitchen oven may just do it (550 deg F for a number of hours).

Arswain, did you do anything to "tune up" the adjuster or just clean, relube and reassemble?

Happy Roads, Al

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Arswaim, did you do anything to "tune up" the adjuster or just clean, relube and reassemble?

Happy Roads, Al
No, nothing special. I just cleaned it up and lubricated it. The dust excluders were in pretty good shape (surprising, really). The adjuster mechanism is mostly aluminum, if I remember correctly, so rust wasn't a problem.

Alex

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update. Tony at AlfaStop did have the part. Thanks Richard for the suggestion. The calipers are reassembled, reinstalled and waiting for the rest of the project to finish so the Duetto can get on the road.

Regards, Al

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,041 Posts
Have you found any good rebuild or adjustment threads here on the ABB, or other information, on these Dunlop brakes? OKParts in DE has lots of older parts also.

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,881 Posts
Glad to help Al. Just as an aside , despite people condemming this system every car I`ve owned with the Dunlop brakes has never given me an iota of trouble, whereas often my ATE cars (if they`re not used for a wee while) often stick on, or brake unevenly for a while before coming right. The Dunlop caliper mechanisms are perhaps more exposed in damp wet salty environments but in my home area-a fairly dry temperate climate, the Dunlops are absolutely fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts