Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was determined to use the original equipment on my 67, but two pistons were pitted. Also, removing all 4 was very difficult. I thought the caliper lip must have been rusted, but it was not. Now to reinstall, I am having the devil of a time getting the pistons onto those swiveling rods. I assume the rods keep the pistons straight.
Two questions: how do you get the pistons back in?
A local machine shop fabricated two replacement pistons but of course they do not have the swiveling socket of the originals. Will the pistons jam if the rod just goes into a hole drilled in the bottom of the piston?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
It's possible that no one reading the "Spider" section of the BB has any idea of what you are asking (I certainly don't). The typical thread here pertains to fuel injection -era cars.

I would suggest illustrating your question with photos and/or moving the post to the "Suspension & Brakes" section of the BB.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi Bruce,

Having a 1967 with Dullop brakes I do happen to know what your talking about. I just don't have the answer to your question on if the piston made by your machine shop will work or for that matter what the real purpose of the center pin is. However, in case your not aware, new pistons and rebuild kits are available from Alfa Stop in the UK. If I recall, Tony was the one I corresponded with when I got my rebuild parts. Great guy and he may be able to help with your questions in any event.
Regards, Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts