Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like an idiot even asking this, but here goes:
I took out my windshield washer fluid reservoir (WHY IS IT SO BIG????) to clean it out, and I noticed that the overflow hose from the coolant tank was just....hanging there. I get that if the coolant tank over pressurizes, the "spring/plunger" thing in the cap of the coolant tank compresses and coolant escapes out that overflow hose. But does the hose just hang there in the engine bay? Is it supposed to be long enough to exit under the car or something? I was just perplexed by this. You'd think that you would want the coolant to go OUT of the engine bay or under the car or something. When I look in the service manual, it doesn't say anything about that being hooked up anywhere. What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
BTW... probably the reason the windshield washer tank is so big is that the European GTV 6 was given headlight washers sometime in the mid 1980s, and the pump drew fluid from that same reservoir. The headlight washers spat out a lot of fluid at a higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
In my Alfas, the Milano and 164s, I blocked off the headlight washers, as after testing I found that they really didn't do anything. It saves on fluid, and I just wipe the headlights once in a while, along with the taillights, to keep them pretty clean. Never had a problem otherwise. Glad the headlights are glass, though, instead of the plastic which has fogged badly on so many cars. Just junk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeh this is normal on a lot of cars. on a related question, does anyone know where you can get those red/rusty brown coloured braided hoses like in the pic, I would like to replace mine and cam't seem to find any available other than in black. What was the original factory colour of these ? thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The overflow hose was one of the many things I changed on my car. Ran a longer piece down and out through the steering rack hole into the inner fender well area. Now if it pukes it won't make as much of a mess in the engine compartment. Antifreeze doesn't mix well with a nice clean engine and painted engine compartment.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Is it supposed to be long enough to exit under the car or something? I was just perplexed by this. You'd think that you would want the coolant to go OUT of the engine bay or under the car or something...
LOL - yep, same as mine. Think of it this way: What better way to inform the driver of an overheat condition than the odor of coolant seeping into the cabin? ..very Italian solution if your temp gauge fails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts