Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching this to no success. Does anyone know if the upper suspension arms on the duetto (67) are a different length than most? I have the alfaholics rebuild kit and the arms in the kit are shorter than the ones that came off the car by about .25" or so. Not only is this messing with geometry but it won't clear the bump stop bracket if the upright is installed.

Alfaholics didn't have a complete answer but are looking into it.

Also, seems I have a dual lower bump stop setup, one in the spring the other on the outside. The one on the outside is considerably shorter than the standard.

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
measure from the bush center and the center of the ball joint to get a good measurement. the arms in the pic look the same length except for the crimped sleeve and that shouldnt matter. Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to have to reneg on this post. Apparently the bushings in the old units were so bad the insert had moved back making them appear longer.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
seems I have a dual lower bump stop setup, one in the spring the other on the outside. The one on the outside is considerably shorter than the standard.
Did you get this issue sorted out? I think I can picture what you are describing. The earliest 105's had a bump stop that was concentric with the spring, mounted in the upper spring perch. But the metal portion of those was prone to retaining water and rusting. Later 105's had simpler bump stops that were mounted to the outside of the front springs. It sounds like your car may have both styles!

My '67 Duetto (#664321) has the later style. I don't know when the transition occurred.

So, what is shorter than "the standard"? Did someone installed a non-original rubber bumper.

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
Mine has all three bump stops. (663438)
Well, I wouldn't say "three bump stops"; I'd say "two bump stops and one droop stop". Still, it's odd to have redundant bump stops. I wonder if the second (outer) bump stop wasn't added by a PO. But what would have been their motivation? Your inner bumpstop - the one concentric with the spring - looks sound.

alfaguy1230 said:
I have not found that shorter outside bump stop anywhere.
Yea, but who knows if that is even an Alfa part. It could be off a Borgward. Some PO in the past may have drilled out the mounts to install parts he got for five bucks at a wrecking yard. Lots of half-a$$ed things were done with Duettos back when they were just inexpensive furrin cars.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say "three bump stops"; I'd say "two bump stops and one droop stop". Still, it's odd to have redundant bump stops. I wonder if the second (outer) bump stop wasn't added by a PO. But what would have been their motivation? Your inner bumpstop - the one concentric with the spring - looks sound.
True! 1 down and 2 up.

The second picture was showing my good side with it's original concentric bumpstop. In the first picture, that part was MIA and I had to fabricate a replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts