Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 Duetto has the standard factory wheels (15 x 4.5 steel) and the original tires were 155-15s and the car currently has 165-15s.

Without changing wheels at this stage, what choices do I have with regards tire sizes.

Someone once told me 185/65-15s would fit on these (15 x 4.5) rims. Will that work? What's the rule of thumb with what tire fits on what wheel?

Also - will I get rubbing with that size tire? How much heavier will the steering get?

Thanks for your advice,

Nick
1967 Alfa Spider Duetto 1600

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Nick,

I tackled this same quandry a short time ago for my '67 GTV, which has the same size rims as your Duetto. Some AlfaBBers recommended that I go to 195/60R15's, while others recommended 185/65R15's.

I got a good deal on 195/60R15 Phantom Warrior (made by Michelin) at an America's Tire Co. store (www.tires.com).

More about my GTV and it's new tires can be viewed here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161&perpage=15&pagenumber=2. Included are comments by PSK that my tires might be too wide for the rims. However, I do not have any rubbing issues and have not experienced sidewall flex.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kai,

I think I'm definitely going to try either the 185/65-15 or 195/60-15s.

I just wish I didn't have so much tread left on my existing 165SR15s to make it easier to justify!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If your 165's are name brand, sell 'em on eBay! Or, buy another set of rims and keep 'em for a car show day. :)

The tire store I went to offered to install one 195 and if I didn't like it I could've gone to 185's. I couldn't resist the meaty 195's.

I forgot to mention the HUGE difference these 195's made! My GTV was so wiggly with the 165's. I now have great grip and stability.

Glad I could help!

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kai,

You gotta wonder what was going on at the big meeting where they came up with "fantom warrior" as a tire name.

Other names that didn't make the cut:

"Voodoo Banshee"

"Ghostly Soldier"

"Rolling Thunder"

"Silent Strangler"

Ahhhh, marketing!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hahaha! Really Rob!

Not only do I wonder about the name, but why did Michelin make these tires yet not put their name on them? I went in to buy a set of Yokie's when the tire guy told me about these "phantom warriors". He told me they had better grip but people complained about the road noise. I laughed and told him that my GTV is loud enough on it's own and tire noise would not be a problem. Sure enough, I can not hear the tires over my engine and exhaust tones.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hi Guys;
Thanks for the photos. Kai you may sharpen up your handeling with new sway bar link bushings. I could be wrong, but it looks as if your bottom pass side link is missing a bushing. Dunlap makes a performance 185-65-15 sportA2 around $55.00 a tire at Tire rack, Read the reveiws. Not bad, Quiter than Yokies AVS I, but not nere as good as far as handleing, But thay are traction AA so it doesnt get much better in our size for the street.
Peter

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good eye Peter! I am missing the end link bushings on both sides. I've been debating whether to purchase rubber bushings or try to locate some polyurethane bushings. Until then, I have been taking it relatively easy in the turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good Evening everyone,
Well here is my take on the tire issue. Since I will not be racing my Alfa, I am going back to the original equipment and installing Michelin XAS 165/14 tires on the stock steel wheels.
I have nothing against using newer design and size but would just like to have the feel of a 1975 sport sedan.
I think Alfas handled well as set up by the factory. They did not if you let tire pressures or sshocks or suspension bushings go astray.
So it is XASs for the blue Italian Police Car.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mr. C.,

Are you going to Coker Tire for that XAS? It is hard to believe what they can charge for those now. I believe the retro approach is cool. I am always looking for the original steel wheels for my '67 Super. With fresh paint, hubcaps, and the correct tire, the look is textbook quality.

Velocess

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Coker gets about 140 a pop for the XAS. I'll probably get a set as well and put them on stock steel wheels but only for show purposes. I'd think (hope) that the Coker repros would have a more modern compound as well. IMO, the original XAS left much to be desired, especially in the wet. Then again, maybe they'll be the only thing that'll slow me down.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts