Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Duetto is making creaking noises since being put back on the road after a 18 month lay off due to renovation. Passed the MOT back in may. The noise is on turning (and on braking when going straight ahead) and I first thought it was the steering but it gets worse when the road is uneven. If I jack up under the spring pan and turn the road wheel the creaking appears to come from the suspension upper swivel joint (checked one side to date). No grease nipple so any cure or further tests I can do. Cannot see the connection with braking though.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The biggest noise maker is the A arm that connects with the bolts running on the inner fender walls. It is very difficult to lube the area. The movement is up and down on the A arm but front to rear stress movement makes noise also. The rubber wedges into the box like opening and the bolt goes through the metal sleeved bushing. I have tried all kinds of lube sprays but finally had to take them apart and apply grease on the sleeve and bolt to get it to stop. Try some silicone spray or some white grease and see what happens. You might get luckier than me. If you drive through a little water
it will get worse when it drys out. I have a buddy with a GTV6 that squeeks sooo badly when he goes over the speed bumps slowly at the University where he PHDs (post hole digger) He finally talked me into changing out the A arms and it cured the problem, but his wife's spider does the same thing.
Silicone spray doesn't hurt rubber far as I know, and should help some.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stan, you don't happen to have a picture pin pointing the location as I'm not quite sure. From the upper swivel there are the two arms, one goes forward towards the inner body and the other goes at around 90 degrees to the road wheel into a recess.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
One is a Caster arm that supports the suspension front to rear as the car is moving. The other is a pivot up and down. As you say it goes to the inner body, but in actuality to the inner fender wall.. There is a big bolt and nut going through it. At that joint, I believe is where your squeek is.

Someone that knows how could post some pictures. Duh, I never have figured out how. Old computer.

good luck!
Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts