Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update from previous post, jacked car up to release wheels from ground. It is a RHD car and so the steering box is to the right side of the driving position. The graunching noise is revised to a series of clicks (15 counted) as you rotate the steering wheel or road wheel anticlockwise (left turn) but there is no noise on rotating the wheel in the opposite direction. Tracking the noise proved difficult but it is on the drivers side (RHD remember) and is either the box or the top suspension swivel joint. Tried the tube method but could not determine the exact point of noise. Injected just over 1/8 pint of EP 90 oil to fill the box (which I mixed with the grease already in he box). Further diagnostic help sought to eliminate box or top swivel

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
i don't know about mixing oil and grease. I think it quite likely that you have some worn ball bearings. I have no clue how to remove the box on a RHD but I'm betting you would need to remove the carbs and intake manifold. The good news is that the balls are standards and readily available.

Good luck and take pictures...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think the clicking could be caused by a worn ball or balls or even a broken one. But I am curious as to why the noise is only present when turning to the left.
The suspension swivels are grease for life type and I have been informed that the noise could be from the grease drying out
There is no perceivable play in the steering, suspension swivels or track rods.
If I disconnect the drivers side track rod that would enable me to turn the steering independent of the road wheel. If the noise then persists it is the box. Is this a good way to diagnose as I don't want to remove the box if it is the swivel.
Do I have the Burman box, there is no peg with lock nut, just a domed plate held in with two screws on the box top, so what is this for?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts