Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Alfisti !

I had my gearbox rebuilt and now it has a weird problem centering. It always needs a bit of pressure to the left to complete a shift into third and especially fifth. First and second are no issue since there is already left pressure for them. But if I go from say fourth into fifth it just won't go if I simply move the lever up to the middle, over to the right, and then forward. I did adjust the clutch cable so I'm getting full travel/release.

Is it an issue of some shims in the shift tower ?

Dan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard. Can this be checked and fixed with the trans in the car ? Are there any directions available on how to do this?

·
Super Moderator
10,606 Posts
Can this be checked and fixed with the trans in the car ? Are there any directions available on how to do this?
If I understand Richard's post correctly, then yes, you can both check it and re-shim it without removing the gearbox. Of course, you will need to remove the shift lever, boot, sheetmetal tower, and inner boot. Remove the plate that holds the reverse lock-out thingy.

Now you can look down into where the base of the shift lever catches the three shift rods (a flashlight might help), and see how it is positioned. There are shims behind the two vents/pivots on either side of the shift tower on the gearbox (each secured with two, 6mm bolts). Your rebuilder may have put all the shims on one side, or mixed up the parts from the L and R sides.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got to it. Once it was all opened up I reattached the shift lever and moved it through the various positions to see the function. I removed the right side vent/pivot and noted two shims/washers, the inner one being wavy. I replaced it and removed the left, noting no shims/washers. It didn't seem as if one shim/washer would make that much of a difference. Then I wondered if the vent/pivots were of equal depth. I carefully removed both and it was plainly visible that the one on the right was longer. Figuring I had nothing to lose I swapped them, using one shim/washer on each side to protect the aluminum. It looks like It worked. I loosely buttoned things up and took it for a drive. Gears 1 through 4 were perfect. At first 5th wouldn't engage but as it warmed up slightly I could get it in. I'm thinking I may be low on gear lube or using something too thin - It currently has redline 75-90 in it. Any suggestions? Will check level this weekend.

I did notice that my inner boot had torn - probably explains why it seemed noisier. And I finally realized that my reverse lockout has been stuck in the unlocked position for as long as I've had the car. Not sure if I'm going to fix it or not.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, It is 75-90 NS. My mistake. Is there anything better I should consider, maybe something that won't leak out as fast ? ( if it's leaking at all that is )

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Literally, not more than 15 minutes after I had finished pumping in 2 quarts of 7590NS into my trans, Richard posts 3 pints!! One thing for sure -- easier to drain out a pint than add a pint!!! I was used to filling it up until it started to run out the fill port -- If I had not added that last pint it would have certainly made less of a mess! I had a pie tin that had some gear oil in it on the floor to catch drips while I was pumping -- I got under to take a look and suddenly cramped in my neck -- so I laid my head, you guessed it, RIGHT IN that pie tin! Oh the joy of no lift at 55 years old!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts