Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring and recovering the seats in a '67 Duetto. I think I've discovered that the construction is a bit different that the later seats. I suspect my seats have been recovered once before so am trying to figure out the correct original affixing system.

My seat bottoms had a square metal strap frame (with no cross bars) beneath the foam. The foam had no holes for the springs used on later seats. The pleated area of the seat bottom was glued to the foam and the outer edge of the cover was wrapped around the foam and affixed w/ hog rings to the metal strap frame on the bottom.

Can anyone out there tell me if this sounds like the original construction design?

Thanks!

20200320_105947_1.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Chuck,
I had the same setup on my Duetto seats. I thought they were the original covers, but when I peeled off the vinyl there was a printed logo that said something like "Joe's house of vinyl" so they had been recovered. Like yours, there were no holes in the seat cushion for springs, and the same rectangular frame for hog rings. I am pretty sure this was the original setup for early Duettos.

See posts 75-78 in this thread: 67 Duetto restoration
Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mark. Huge help. Spent several hours searching for an answer but somehow missed the Duetto restoration thread. So far, all 3 early roundtails had same design and same rectangular bottom frame. Don't see any way the spring attachment system would work with this frame so I agree, thinking the glue was original.

Thanks again. Would be happy to learn of any others experience.

·
Premium Member
1968 1750 Roundtail Spider Euro version
202 Posts
Just did seats on my 68 spider - same seat frame as yours. I recovered the bottoms using original frames and covers. Used cable ties to re-attach - worked fine.... BTW, the center portion of the seat is glued to the foam for the seat bottoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts