Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am working to complete the restoration of the seats for my 1967 Duetto. I have a number of seats I am pirating parts from, but I have run into a dilemma. Inside of the hand wheel used to adjust the seat back there is some sort of a plastic/nylon part which has deteriorated to the point that is is unrecognizable in all four of the seats I have. I’m not sure if it is a stop of some sort, but the adjusters seem to work even without the part.
Does someone have a picture of what the part should look like, and even better, a possible source for replacements?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Chris

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Chris,
Post of photo of what you do have. One of the knobs is off my 1969 seats (broken), so I can take a picture of the internal part, but I am not sure they are the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bob,
Thank you for the reply. I left town this morning, so I can't take a picture of my own seat adjuster, but the one in this photo is the same vintage. The seats are out of a 1969 (I wanted the headrest for comfort and safety) and the part I am talking about is inside of the handwheel, under the chrome-plastic cover. I just have crumbled orangeish plastic chunks mixed in with the grease. I am hoping that if I can find a picture of the plastic part in tact, that I can figure out what it does and how to reproduce it.
Thank you again,
Chris

Duetto Seat Bracket.jpg

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Chris ,
My car is a 69 1750 so same as your picture. I just put a coat of paint on mine this evening and have the knob area taped off. I will post a picture tomorrow. I have been looking for a replacement knob for the one that is off. I will take pictures of the broken part too. I am not sure how you safely remove the black plastic knob. Several vendors seem to sell the chrome disc insert but not the whole knob.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Sorry about delay in posting my photo. Great weather in Kansas City sent me into the yard to clean up fall leaves for last couple of days. Brian's photo's much more detailed than mine since I have not removed the circle clip to disassemble. Based on plastic deterioration he describes, not sure I want to know what I have inside. I would be interested in purchasing a knob assembly if you have one available.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had quite a few hinges at my disposal. When I took the ones from my seats apart, I found the disintegrated part that you're looking for. I have no idea what it does. I am sure the one I put in the hinges is already crumbled.
[Photos edited out of reply]
Hi Brian,
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. So it looks like it is intended to keep the spring in place. Where did you come across the new one that you put in? Does someone make them? I feel like I could fabricate something that would work out of nylon, or some other more durable substance.
I appreciate the photos and will post whatever I come up with as a solution.
With appreciation,
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about delay in posting my photo. Great weather in Kansas City sent me into the yard to clean up fall leaves for last couple of days. Brian's photo's much more detailed than mine since I have not removed the circle clip to disassemble. Based on plastic deterioration he describes, not sure I want to know what I have inside. I would be interested in purchasing a knob assembly if you have one available.

[Photos edited out of reply]
Hi Bob,
Thank you for the photos. As you mentioned, Brian's photos do a great job of showing the part I need to replace. I will take some pictures of the knobs I have available and send them to you this weekend.
With appreciation,
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Brian,
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. So it looks like it is intended to keep the spring in place. Where did you come across the new one that you put in? Does someone make them? I feel like I could fabricate something that would work out of nylon, or some other more durable substance.
I appreciate the photos and will post whatever I come up with as a solution.
With appreciation,
Chris
Hi Again Brian,
I see that you answered the same question back in April of 2008: crumbling plastic in 60's seat adjusters?
I only saw it through a Google search looking for the plastic part.
I appreciate you taking the time to rely a second time!
Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bob,
Thank you for the photos. As you mentioned, Brian's photos do a great job of showing the part I need to replace. I will take some pictures of the knobs I have available and send them to you this weekend.
With appreciation,
Chris
Hi Bob,
If you are looking for a new knob, I just ran across this (scroll about 1/2 way down): AlfaFranjo - On Sale
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Got it. Thanks. I will reach out to him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts