Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Alfisti
I want to repaint my '67 Duetto rims. Who knows what color code I need to use, or whcih color comes close to original?
Peter

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
BMW Polaris Silver code #060 is an almost perfect match.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just had my wheels powder coated. I had them match the color on the inside of the wheel, just like ossodiseppia suggested. They look pretty good, but I am still not sure that they are 'correct'.

You see, all of the wheels that I have look like they were painted gray on the face while the inside and back are metallic silver. It may be that dealers or previous owners added the gray or maybe the factory did it. I raised the issue on the digest, yet I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.

At the recent France and Italy show I had the opportunity to look at nearly a hundred Alfas. With thirty years of aging, it was impossible to know which cars had properly restored wheels and which were wrong.

There was a GTV with custom 15" steel wheels which looked like factory, but upon close inspection were not. But they looked great!

When I had mine done, I just took them to my local powder coater, he burned the old paint off, sandblasted them, and painted them to match the inside color. I had one small dent that I should have straightened first. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I recently acquired a set of 14x5.5 Alfa steel rims. I'd like to get them powder coated like the one in this picture. How much did you pay Racer X? I had one shop quote me $60 per rim.

Is the color of the rim in this picture similar to the color that papajam mentioned?

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kai,

All four wheels were powder coated for $100 and can be done in any of about 40 different silvers or any other color for that matter.

Contact me directly if you want me to hook you up.

·
16,232 Posts
I found out that Grigio Chiaro, code AR727/737, is also a very close match to the original AR003 steel wheel paint. AR727 is from the same time frame as well having been introduced in 1967.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have a question on the lug nuts and hub caps on the type of rim pictured above. On the rims I just picked up, there's about a 1/2" gap between the hub cap and the rim at the lug nut holes. Do the lug nuts pull the hub cap down to the rim when tightened? Or how does one account for this gap?

Another question, do these type of lug nuts come right hand threaded? Or is it left hand threaded? In any case, the lugs on my driver's side are the opposite of lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. Am I making sense? :)

·
Premium Member
13,749 Posts

·
16,232 Posts
A color code question in another BB thread resulted in my 're-discovering' the source where I first read about steel wheel paint code AR003 and BMW Polaris Silver. The site is here.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
ossodiseppia said:
Back in the "olden days" (up to 1969 I think) the drivers side lugs were righty loosey and lefty tighty. My 69 Roundtail still had that type. I've not seen the lugs pictured in anything other than "normal" thread. That doesn' t mean they don't exist. The righty loosey and lefty tighty lugs that were on my car were brass. If you look closely at the lugs in the picture, you'll see a little lip at the base. This is what holds the caps on.
Thanks osso,

If the pictured lug nuts do not come in r-l l-t threads, would I also have to convert to later model hubs?

Seems like a lot to invest just so I can convert to wider stock-looking wheels and center lug covers. I like my hub caps, but I like the look of the center lug covers better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You see, all of the wheels that I have look like they were painted gray on the face while the inside and back are metallic silver. It may be that dealers or previous owners added the gray or maybe the factory did it. I raised the issue on the digest, yet I don't think anyone had a definitive answer.
As the original owner of a 1976 spider I can categorically state that my original steel wheels were painted GREY on the outside.

I had all 5 wheels refurbished by sand blasting and repainting in "as close as possible" to the original grey in 1987, but today cannot exactly vouch for their color authenticity. Interestingly, at the time of their refurbishment, I observed that both the interior and insides of the wheels were originally silver.

In subsequent years I was given to understand that this difference in color between the outside and interior/inside was not uncommon, and in fact was more often reversed, with the silver outside and grey interior/inside.

I have recently purchased a replacement used steel wheel and have found that while the outside had apparently been repainted in silver, that the interior and inside surfaces were in their original finishes. The inside was silver and the interior was GREY, indicating that this was perhaps an example of the (more common) reversal of my own wheel color as described above, where in this case, the externals were silver and interior was originally grey.

This observation supports the contention that the exterior grey finish was in fact an original factory option, and not as proposed, either a previous owner or dealer alteration.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Although not obvious from the pic above, the grey wheel interior has a slight metallic sparkle and contrasts markedly with my existing wheels which now almost resemble a blueish grey.

Considering the volatility of human memory and the considerable passage of time, together with the likelihood of an imperfect match of the repainted wheels and their deterioration, I think it is quite possible that the interior color of this replacement wheel accurately represents the original color of my 1976 wheels.

I would be most interested if anyone else can shed some further light upon my observations.

Incidentally, the single driver's side mirror and mount were also originally the same grey as the wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts