Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for the clear front glass for the interior rear view mirror (1967 Duetto).

If not available, does anyone know other models/series which have the same shaped mirror glass?

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I bought a new mirror and clear glass from Del Prior in Germany, but any series 2 or 3 clear piece will work on a '67.......same shape.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with Del Prior and I couldn't find anything on an internet search. Can you provide a link/info?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
O.K. their email is:
[email protected]
Probably easier to find a used one here, but they do carry correct mirror replacement glass.
Randy

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Your local automotive/plate glass company can cut one for you.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi Paul,

It is very easy to replace the glass, I have done it twice, the first time the mirror was replace with a 2mm glass and it worked great, but it cracked after a few months, so now I have put in 3mm glass and glued the little plastic thingy you see in the pictures. The only problem with using the 3mm is that you can't switch to night view using the little button at the bottom of the mirror.

Go to a glass shop with your old glass and they will make it for you.
If need more instruction, I'm glad to help.

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great, Rich. Very helpful and it looks like the LED bulb throws more than mood light on the dash. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think the Dueto has a little different setup inside then later series cars but should work the same

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resolution

I bought an 8 x 10 in. sheet of 2 mm glass at framedestination.com (for a few bucks) since the auto glass shop didn't have that size. They said thin glass tends to break during cutting but if I wanted to chance it they'd give it a shot. Since I had enough for several attempts, I bought a cheap handheld glass cutter, traced the shape from my reassembled broken glass with black marker onto the new sheet. I cut it close enough on the first attempt, was able to cut the larger curves and carefully crush off the corners. I was prepared to take the dremel sanding wheel to it, but the unfinished edge is unseen behind the front of the frame. I applied super glue (cyanoacrylic) all around the rough edge to keep it from flaking and make it less sharp. It looks good and the night view lever works as it should.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
FYI. I mounted a Series 2 rear-view mirror on the Series 1 attachment plate/knob temporarily while I've been restoring my original Series 1 lighted mirror. The problem is that the window rake angle is different and the Series two mirror looks "up" quite a bit higher and cannot be adjusted down enough to see straight "back". I've even done some "artful" grinding on the lower part of the mirror base and it improved but still cannot dial it in perfectly. I have no idea if the glass fits. I'll take a gander next time I piddle with it (a Winter project).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts