Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello:

I used to own a Duetto 20 years ago but let it go. I have been searching for another one (specifically a '66), making inquiries and exchanging e-mails with owners when possible candidates are found.

I’ve poured through lots of photos and commentary received via e-mail but have not yet pulled the trigger on any of the cars.

I would be grateful for your responses to my questions below just so that I can be sure of what's "correct".

1) Should the entire unibody including the underside of a Duetto be the same color or was there anything painted black? (e.g. gas tank, inside wheel wells, other)?

2) Should the hardware on components like the trunk and hood hinges be painted the same color as the body or should they remain unpainted (just plated)?

3) How did the complete tonneau cover (a.k.a. copertura totale - the one that covers the whole ****pit) attach to the car? Did it have a frame like the boot cover and clip under the hard top support pieces? Did it have hardware that clipped into the chrome pieces that sit on top of the "B" pillars? What did the vent clips and door handle straps look like I've seen in the owner's manual?

4) What is the model number of the original Bosch coil and what color should it be?

5) Should the toggle switches on a 66/67 Duetto have the fan icons on them or just be blank, black toggle switches?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Keith

·
chiuso per ferie
11,783 Posts
57 views and not a single reply? What's up with that?

...I would be grateful for your responses to my questions below just so that I can be sure of what's "correct".
1) Should the entire unibody including the underside of a Duetto be the same color or was there anything painted black? (e.g. gas tank, inside wheel wells, other)?
Most every Alfa I've seen of this vintage have a black undercoating. This may have been put on at the factory at the port of entry or the dealership. I am sure the only paint that one would ever find on the under carriage of an old Alfa is pretty much over spray. :D The Body, shop manual shows black under coating on a Berlina, but it's at 69 or 70 model year. On my car, it's been undercoated and sprayed with body color. So, to be correct, I would think body color on the underside, but not undercoating. I don't recommend doing that.

2) Should the hardware on components like the trunk and hood hinges be painted the same color as the body or should they remain unpainted (just plated)?
Hinges should be painted.

3) How did the complete tonneau cover (a.k.a. copertura totale - the one that covers the whole ****pit) attach to the car? Did it have a frame like the boot cover and clip under the hard top support pieces? Did it have hardware that clipped into the chrome pieces that sit on top of the "B" pillars? What did the vent clips and door handle straps look like I've seen in the owner's manual?
The cars did not come with a tonneau. Those are aftermarket items.

4) What is the model number of the original Bosch coil and what color should it be?
I dunno. I've not seen an original. New ones are blue.

5) Should the toggle switches on a 66/67 Duetto have the fan icons on them or just be blank, black toggle switches?
Toggle switches should have symbols on them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree! Is this a peep show or a forum?

I'm glad one of you had the knowledge to respond!

Let the games begin. :)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'm not one that disagrees with osso very often but in this case I think I will.
My understanding is that the toggle switches with the symbols first appeared on the 1969 USA version Series 1 1750s. The Euro cars got the symbols starting with the Series 2 1750s in 1970. Ergo, the switches in the Spider 1600 should not have symbols (I think).

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I think the original coils are black.. Bosch with internal resistor.
When cutting my original floors out.. I did find color paint on the inside but not underneath.. I actually did search for it after the floors were out of the car and I could
scrape and sand and clean.. but no body color paint on the bottom. .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'm not one that disagrees with osso very often but in this case I think I will.
My understanding is that the toggle switches with the symbols first appeared on the 1969 USA version Series 1 1750s. The Euro cars got the symbols starting with the Series 2 1750s in 1970. Ergo, the switches in the Spider 1600 should not have symbols (I think).
For what it's worth, my 68 1750 has the correct symbols on all three switches---and I wouldn't normally disagree with Jim :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
No Symbols on Mine

I have an early 67 (Dunlop Brakes) that has been in my family since 1969. It had all Black stick switches. I have since had to change the Fan and Wiper switch which I purchased at Advance Auto. I do have a full original set that I purchased on Ebay and if I ever take my dash apart again they will go on. I do not know when they changed but I can verify mine were all black stick type switches.

·
chiuso per ferie
11,783 Posts
Brainiacs!

Ok, brainiacs, you caught one of my mistakes. Sorry about that, Keith. But, you didn't catch the other. As I was sitting at the stop light just a few minutes ago, I realized my error. The other mistake was the tonneau cover. Pages 24 and 25 of the first printing of the instruction book clearly shows how to install the tonneau cover.

PFFFFFFFFFFFT!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"proper retainers"

They talk about securing the front of the cover with the "proper retainers". Not very clear, particularly for a guy who just bought a tonneau cover for a '66 Duetto on eBay which doesn't appear to have those retainers.

Anybody with a tonneau cover, I would be grateful to see some photos of the hardware including those retainers.

Please keep the other answers coming.

Cheers,

Keith

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Notice the licence plate on the Duetto ?
Those covers never made it to the US.....
Never seen one in person.
In the US, you had to go to MGMitten or another aftermarket supplier to get a cover. This is usually what comes up for sale here and they are not made like the factory ones.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think the original coils are black.. Bosch with internal resistor.
When cutting my original floors out.. I did find color paint on the inside but not underneath.. I actually did search for it after the floors were out of the car and I could
scrape and sand and clean.. but no body color paint on the bottom. .

I can second this my car is a '66 RHD Duetto. It's undergoing a resto right now. This is a picture of the RH rear underfloor which needs repairing. I was quite surprised when cleaning off the flaky plasticky undercoat to find undercoat.. Not Rossi farina 514 (campbells cream of tomato soup red). Did Pininfarina paint the body's for Alfa, or just build them, prime and flick them back to Alfa for paint and assembly ? There's a book that shows this assembly (jigs, welding etc) somewhere, I must buy it.

For what it's worth I will be going with a tinted body colour undercoating of some sort.. I may even powder coat the suspension something other than satin black (oooh, heresy).

The switches in the car when I got it had no markings, can't speak to how original that is though.

I've always wondered about the tonneau question myself. I saw a restoration candidate Duetto on UK eBay a few days ago which had this option.. The clips (poles?) in the dash were the exact same type as you'd find on a MG.. Can't find the listing now of course. They were positionEd close to the windscreen so the tonneau would cover the dash (like Osso's picture)

I can't wait for the nose bump question/debate :D (i reckon the museo car is wrong.. Oooh) :D
And does anybody have good picture of the correct engine bay on a Duetto ?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Of course the correct symbols are on all three switches; that's because the switches themselves have been switched to the incorrect switches. :eek:
Thats why I caveated with FWIW--my GTV (in which I have much more history) does not have the symbols. It's very possible and probable someone replaced all the switches in the spider with later ones--at least they put them in the correct positions ;)

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
that is beautiful, you could eat your dinner off that!..........:)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
that is beautiful, you could eat your dinner off that!..........:)
Indeed. It is a German car, number 105.62.1481864 with the Duetto Register Not bad at all, but I wonder if it has been on the road yet after the restoration process.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
It is a German car, number 105.62.1481864...
Indeed it looks to be a very nice example of a USA version Roundtail.

Seems a shame though that a vehicle restored to this detail no longer retains the original Spica fuel system (IMHO).

·
chiuso per ferie
11,783 Posts
Notice the licence plate on the Duetto ?
Those covers never made it to the US.....
The license plate doesn't indicate anything. Those pages are from the instruction book.

Never seen one in person.
I've never seen one either. These things don't even show up in the parts manual. I believe there is no mention of the tonneau cover in second and third printings of the instruction book.

...Did Pininfarina paint the body's for Alfa, or just build them, prime and flick them back to Alfa for paint and assembly ? There's a book that shows this assembly (jigs, welding etc) somewhere, I must buy it.
The chassis, minus any mechanical bits (suspension, engine, etc) were assembled at Pinnin Farina. The cars are rolled out of the Pinnin Farina plant on dollies and placed on trucks to be delivered to the Alfa plant. There, the cars were placed on the assembly line with GTVs and Giulia sedans.

For what it's worth I will be going with a tinted body colour undercoating of some sort.. I may even powder coat the suspension something other than satin black (oooh, heresy).
You could try an good quality undercoat and then paint on top. Some folks are using truck bed liner with pain on top.

I've always wondered about the tonneau question myself. I saw a restoration candidate Duetto on UK eBay a few days ago which had this option.. The clips (poles?) in the dash were the exact same type as you'd find on a MG.. Can't find the listing now of course. They were positionEd close to the windscreen so the tonneau would cover the dash (like Osso's picture)
Can you post a link to it? We can swipe some picture from it.

I can't wait for the nose bump question/debate :D (i reckon the museo car is wrong.. Oooh) :D
And does anybody have good picture of the correct engine bay on a Duetto ?
I stay out of that one because I really don't know which is correct. I may have some pictures, I'd have to check.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts