Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Interesting car. Does anyone know the owner?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some oddities; "Original owner for 22 years" for a car that is 54 years old?, only 26,000 miles, nerf bar over grill is from a and ash tray look to be from a 69. Seems like a very decent price.

·
Premium Member
23,226 Posts
Folks misuse "original" a lot. Has some issues but I think a pretty fair deal given what Duettos go for nowadays. I do not offhand know the car.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Some oddities; "Original owner for 22 years" for a car that is 54 years old?, only 26,000 miles, nerf bar over grill is from a and ash tray look to be from a 69. Seems like a very decent price.
Yes, "original owner" is the wrong term; "long-term owner" would have been more correct. But hey - if proper use of the English language was a requirement for posting on Craigslist, 99% of the ads would get weeded out!

I believe the car was sold over the weekend, bought by a fellow Orange County resident who's an occasional-contributor to the BB.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello, I am the new owner of this gem. The seller has owned the car for 22 years so he was a long term owner but certainly not the original one. He bought the car then from the Alfa Center in North Beach and pretty much drove in the city over the years and probably garaged it (he has a deep garage) since it has practically no typical rust from I can see. He most likely drove it only during the day in recent years since the lights do not work as we found out during the last hour of our trek home to Orange County Sunday night. It drives quite well due only to having been mechanically maintained by the Alfa Center until it closed and then Alfaman through a recent clutch job. For the rest, the seller (not a hands-on guy) never had anything repaired beyond mechanical. For this reason, this car needs a lot of help to make things work besides eventual body and paint. We were looking for a driving project with minimal structural repair so this is pretty much what we wanted. The motor is the original 536 so overall it is a pretty good package to start with.

Rich

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you for the positive words. It's a good car for us since we do all work except body/paint. Also, there is no rush since we have three others that are sorted enough to be driven daily.

Rich
'65 gta
'67 sprint gt veloce
'67 fulvia zagato

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Rich:

Now you need to edit your signature to include the '67 Duetto. Click on your photograph, then "Account Settings" then "Signature" and you should be able to add the Duetto. Can't have too many Italian cars!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
@type 32

Congrats on your new baby! I was thinking about buying the car, but I couldn't get up north. The seller seemed to be honest and let me know the issues the car has. He also told me that he felt the car wouldn't have an issue being driven to LA - though he didn't mention the headlights.

I think you bought a nice Duetto! Good luck with the restoration and post pictures of the progress. I'm interested in how the bodywork on the nose turns out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, it did drive down to OC without issues except for the lights. The nose seems to be limited to sheet metal with lots of bondo...we'll see. The trunk area is very nice and never been hit but the trunk lid needs help at the hinges and the latch. It's a large piece of sheet metal that over time stressed the hinge mounts and someone tried to weld in reinforcement so another area to repair. The driver's door also needs to be repaired due to far more use than the passenger. All in all it is a solid car that runs, stops and even has a working handbrake all of which were needed at a minimum to drive around SF in the daytime. And, yes, the seller was very honest...Thanks for the comments.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
@type 32

After hearing your description of the car, I think the repairs are beyond my capability. Though I would've loved to have a Duetto with such long ownership. I think he told me he paid $18,500 for it in 2000.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still curious about the 1969 nerf bar in front and the 69 ash tray. Seem like odd things to have changed, but otherwise a great deal. Being able to make the trip from SF to Orange County without any real issues suggests it is pretty great shape You'll certainly enjoy it, I bought my 69 just before entering grad school at UCI in the early 80's. I drove it around Orange County for five years - only ever put the top up when I parked it.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,550 Posts
Well, it did drive down to OC without issues except for the lights. The nose seems to be limited to sheet metal with lots of bondo...we'll see. The trunk area is very nice and never been hit but the trunk lid needs help at the hinges and the latch. It's a large piece of sheet metal that over time stressed the hinge mounts and someone tried to weld in reinforcement so another area to repair. The driver's door also needs to be repaired due to far more use than the passenger. All in all it is a solid car that runs, stops and even has a working handbrake all of which were needed at a minimum to drive around SF in the daytime. And, yes, the seller was very honest...Thanks for the comments.

Post some pictures of the boot lid, hinges, etc. There is lot's of experience on the AlfaBb dealing with this.

·
Super Moderator
11,925 Posts
Still curious about the 1969 nerf bar in front and the 69 ash tray.
Remember, Rich's new Duetto lived in San Francisco for many years. Those nerf bars were pretty common accessories for city-dwelling Alfa owners, where "parking by ear" is the custom.

But yea, the '69 ash tray is a bit inexplicable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Post some pictures of the boot lid, hinges, etc. There is lot's of experience on the AlfaBb dealing with this.
Hi Osso - I saw this was wondering if some one who has re-install the Duetto trunk torsion spring set? My ’67 Duetto come from the PO without the spring set that pops the trunk open and holds it open. I found a replacement set from OKP, but can’t for the life of me, get them install. Help.... Matt. Thx

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Someone wrote about installing a gas strut without ruining the trunk originality. Sorry I can't find that post. Maybe someone can find it and post it for you. Daron at Vintage Customs wrote about fixing the hinges as they will wear out over time, and there will be cracking at the attachments. He checked and fixed mine on the Duetto.
I have a "never hit in the front or rear 69" and lack of bondo and no previous trunk repairs just makes the trunk lighter for the hinges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like it was a cool deal. This was in my back yard so I contacted the seller. He was out for the weekend then I left on Tuesday without following up so I never had a look. Sounds like it needed more work than I wanted to do right now so I’m glad it ended up in good hands!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts