Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Duetto mystery brakes/hubs.

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  spiderserie4 
#1 ·
Automotive tire Tread Gas Tire Metal

I’m at a loss with this one. These are the front Hubs/discs on my 67 duetto. I’m starting to wonder if I have some really old spacers on here. Any thoughts on what’s going on? Based on the cut off bolts showing on the face of the disc where the wheel would bolt on I’m thinking I might have spacers with their own studs that are bolted onto the discs with bolts from behind. Any thoughts? I haven’t had a chance to remove it all yet and have a better look

als
Automotive tire Tire Tread Artifact Gas

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Sculpture Vehicle brake

See less See more
#4 ·
Remove dust cap and undo the nut, this will release the hub from the stub axle. The bolts that hold the disk to the hub are removed from the rear. Once removed knock the disk from the hub. The studs can now be knocked out and replaced.

#6 ·
Yes, Calipers look like ATE.
Who cut the studs, looks like a fresh cut?

#7 ·
And your point is? The early ATE brake rotors appear to be similar in arrangement to the Dunlop set up. Standard British brake rotor assembly. Remove caliper, undo axle nut (left side nut has left hand threads), remove hub, separate hub and rotor, remove studs from hub, install new studs. Studs are available from Classic Alfa, both left and right hand thread.

#8 ·
Basically, I just wanted to confirm what I have here so I know what I am doing to replace the studs. I couldn't wrap my head around the placement of the hub and the rotor....It took me a while to realize the rotor is bolted to the backside of the hub. I hadn't seen that arrangement before. I have ordered replacement studs for both sides.

#11 ·
... rotor is bolted to the backside of the hub. I hadn't seen that arrangement before
I don't think I have seen a front disc arrangement where the disc is not bolted to the back of the hub. Disc going over axle flanges is common for a rear beam axle, but uncommon (I think) for a disc to go over a front hub
Pete

#10 ·
I assume you are going to rebuild the calipers and replace the rotors. The stuff on there looks pretty bad. Be careful pulling off the hubs to protect the bearings. New bearings can be a pain to get fitted on the axle. Replace the hub bearing seal. Good luck.

#14 ·
yes, eventually. My first step is to take everything off and get it all sandblasted, see if the rotors can be machined for now and see what I need to replace. the engine/drivetrain is out of the car so once I pull the suspension off I am getting the whole thing blasted. I have lots of rust repair to do. This is a bit of a basket case that was in storage for 30+ years. It is complete aside from a few emblems and broken side window. I do also have a 72 GTV that I may swap brakes from onto the duetto.

#17 · (Edited)
What you have is the GT Veloce 1600 FIA group 2 (referred sometimes as version 2) ATE front brakes and rotors, only 1000 GTV 1600 cars made, so that's why not many people know about them. These may have been an option on the Spider possibly (I don't have the Spider parts catalogue and have not checked the Spider FIA homologation for 1966/7, which you may want to do). I've just gone through the process of restoring a set for my GTV 1600. If you pull apart the disc from the hub by undoing the hex head bolts, you have just created a very tricky job for some one. The hub and the disc are roughly in the right position i.e. the hubs and cut outs mate up to position the disc on the hub. On reassembly, to get it perfect so your disc is not off centre to the hub you need two centre the disc on the hub, you need to use two dial feeler gauges at the same time, very tricky process as you will find out.
Steve

#20 ·
Very interesting. I have a lathe so I can make a centering tool for this if I need to. I am curious about the FIA group 2 part. Where might I find the homologation info for 67 spiders? I have been told this car raced but was not convinced of this originally. The more I get into the car the more I am finding little things that suggest it may be true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.