Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am trying to fit a kill switch in my '67 Duetto, but am struggling with s suitable location; under the bonnet or under the dash.
I now only have a cheap "screw type" installed on my battery ground lead. I want to install one with a separate key which are also used on boats, caravans and race cars.

Does anyone have experience and perhaps a picture of where/how it is fitted on his/her car?

Thanks,
Jeroen

·
Administrator
16,548 Posts
What is the intended purpose for the switch? I use the green knob type when working on a car as a quick way to switch on/off all power. But I have found that type to be unreliable for long term everyday driving.

If you want to use the switch as a theft prevention device then a secret location would be best. And being able to reach it from the driver's seat means you won't reveal its location when you are getting in/out of the car. I used to have a switch in the heel board behind the passenger seat in my MGA (The MGA's battery is located behind the seats under a removable panel).

If the intended purpose is so that you can easily switch all battery power on or off then it makes sense to put the switch near the battery. Our GTV6 has a slow battery drain that has proven difficult to fix. I installed the removable red key type switch in the trunk - the GTV6's battery is located in the left side of the trunk. For theft protection I can remove the red key and lock the trunk.

Be careful about cheap switches. I know of a few racers who lost races when their cheap kill switch failed (one happened on the last lap while he was leading the race!).

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I've read that the manual transmission is the Mellinial anti-theft device...
I have a battery kill switch on one lead to the battery. The switch came from Advanced Auto Parts.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts