Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 43 years the ignition key switch is starting to have intermittent problems. Probably time to replace it. I would prefer NOS ( wouldn't we all), but a good usable one would work. Same switches were used in Supers I believe. Key not necessary, but would be a plus. I am aware that some later years will work, and that may be my solution. In the event someone has a spare, ( and I did sell one a few years ago) contact me email or PM.
Thanks, Jon

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Ignition switch

More often than not, it is the internal electrical switch which fails. These switches used to be available separately, but no longer.
I was able to source several of these from Italy. I only have the taller one left, not the shorter one. The advantage is that you keep the original cylinder lock and keys. If interested, please PM me. The price is $50 plus shipping.
Cheers, James

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Switch

James. Thanks. I do have a couple of later ones that you show. I will keep in mind. Part of my problem is the key only returns to the off position and not the lock position. Also starter turns as if a low/ dead battery and then picks up speed to normal. I may have 2 problems.
Thanks, Jon

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Jon,

If you have a Duetto with a panel mounted switch, then it is not the kind pictured just below your opening post. That picture is for the steering column mounted switch.

You can get a good new switch from someplace like Centerline.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
BTW, I'm in the market for a new or very good used complete unit for the steering column mount type. The mechanical function of mine is starting to be problematic, so I plan to replace the entire assembly. centerline shows them , but figured I'd tag my post here just in case someone has one they'd like to dispose of.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ignition switch

FYI Duetto used the locking column switch configuration same as later models.
It is located a bit lower so it gives the appearance of being in the facia panel.

Don
I have several of the later with keys. 3 or 4 wire?
Thanks, Jon

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Duetto

Did you find an ignition switch? I have one, but a key will need to be made for it.
I did get one, but it turned out to be for later models with key alarm.
Looking for the OEM for Duetto. Usually painted black and has chrome bezel.
Thanks, Jon

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Jon,

The problem with most of the black switches which were bosch is the key cylinder starts breaking inside which cause it to start sticking as you turn the key.

In 1988 I bought a new ignition switch from alfa for my 69 boattail and got the later style switch Neiman {sp} brand but it did not have any key buzzer wires coming out of it.

The 1971 models when new came with the neiman style switch. Makes me wonder if alfa went to the neiman brand switch because they were having problems with the bosch ones.

Oh, the guy that has listed a bunch of parts. His listing has Oragon in the title there are 4 or 5 threads look through all of them and one has a picture of a bunch of ignition switches. One of the switches is the black one your looking for.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts