Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idea of the Duetto came about in 1962. The car was supposed to go into production along with the GT, and TI sedan. However, there was a gap in years, as to when it was finally introduced to the public in late 1965/early 1966.

I am looking for history on the Duetto during that gap of 2+ years, as to why it was so late in delivery, for an article I am writing.

Some of the conjectures are structural issues, labor problems, or developing a new assembly line alongside the 101 1300 spiders.

As a result of the delays, the 10118 spider veloce was a stop-gap to provide a fast car to meet the demands of the buying public.

Any help with history during this time from 1962-1966 is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Requesting information from the book, "Alfa Romeo Duetto" by author Madaro. Does anyone have this book?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Christopher, it was not late. The development period of the car was about 5 years those days.

Below are the pictures of the Duetto master model made by Stola in 1964. So it took only two years from the design approval to the production. Based on this we can say that the decision to make a new Spider was done in 1963.

Send me an email with the questions and I will try to answer

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I do think the decision was made mush earlier.

On the Turin exhibition in 1961.

Pinin Farina presented the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Aerodinamica Spider or Giulietta Spider Speciale (Alfa Romeo Giulietta SS).

The introduction w3as delated at the running of the new plant took longer than expected.

That was the reason that the management decided to produce a Giulia Sprint cabriolet

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are on to something with your comment. There were a number of factors that were playing into the delay of the car. They was the new factory, the old factory, unions, and the development of a new replacement spider. All of this will be brought out in an article I am writing. I have been in touch with a number of people that are helping me write the history.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Christopher, it was not late. The development period of the car was about 5 years those days.

Below are the pictures of the Duetto master model made by Stola in 1964. So it took only two years from the design approval to the production. Based on this we can say that the decision to make a new Spider was done in 1963.

Send me an email with the questions and I will try to answer

View attachment 1664034
View attachment 1664035 View attachment 1664036
What wonderful photos, doesn't it look so beautifully styled. So elegant in that form sans any add-ons.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The pictures of the Jigs is from the web page of Carrozzeria Stola in Torino. And they has been known as long as the historic webpage of Carrozzeria Stola, has bean availiable

It is an old family carrozzeria that is almost as old as Alfa Romeo.

They have earned their living as supporters to the more known carrozzeria.

One of their specialities var the production of control tools, the so called jigs. We know the as the wooden bucks, a template where one could set the metal parts to it has the right form, to fit with others parts.

At one time Carrozzeria Stola starts to make these control fixtures in a welded ion structure.

These control fixtures, is one of the last tolls that is produced. As it is used to control the parts that have been pressed by the large meta pressers, to form at certain part.

So these functions is one of the last functions, in the process of producing a new product, in this case a ned car model.

The Duetto was presented officially in 1966. But Pininfarina. Had started the production well ahead, back I 1965.Så that there was a stock that Alfa Romeo could sell from. *** there was high expectations on sales number.

So it can be realistic, that parts production has started sometime in 1963.

But the prototype was presented in 1961.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts