Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking to buy the stainless steel(?) head light trims for my Duetto that allow my Carello head light covers to fit over them without mounting the buckets from behind (i.e., the "American" trim for the Carellos...) I know these are nearly impossible to find but I will not lose faith. Alfa Part #105036501402.
Thanks,
Fran

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
If you want it bad enough:

REOriginals: Re-Originals, Inc. - Restoration Headquarters

Price: $151.80
Headlight outer trim ring, Euro version for covered... - L0270
Headlight outer trim ring, Euro version for covered headlight cars, NOS, #105036501402, quite rare. Special thin shape, stainless steel.

Still looking to buy the stainless steel(?) head light trims for my Duetto that allow my Carello head light covers to fit over them without mounting the buckets from behind (i.e., the "American" trim for the Carellos...) I know these are nearly impossible to find but I will not lose faith. Alfa Part #105036501402.
Thanks,
Fran

·
chiuso per ferie
11,758 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Excuse my lack of knowledge regarding the specifics of your plight to find the trim rings under the cover. As I too think that the look is very nice, but doesn't "Biba restorations" link have an replication product option for sale: perhaps directly or indirectly?
If not, its a shame as I was hoping to buy a reproduction assembly for my car, good luck in any case.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've gotten lucky with Import Auto Center in Charlotte, NC on some rare items...NOS ashtray, for one, on my Duetto. He appears to have a lot of stuff on those shelves. Giuseppe is the owner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Argh!!

Excuse my lack of knowledge regarding the specifics of your plight to find the trim rings under the cover. As I too think that the look is very nice, but doesn't "Biba restorations" link have an replication product option for sale: perhaps directly or indirectly?
If not, its a shame as I was hoping to buy a reproduction assembly for my car, good luck in any case.
Thanks for the lead. These particular headlight trims are listed on the AlfaCybersite website as available for $258 but when I communicated yesterday with Biba/AlfaCybersite I was told they are "on hold" and not available for the foreseeable future. Bummer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sad news. Not the end of the world yet. If people know you want them and are willing to pay "appropriately" they will pop up somewhere. US, Europe, Canada...
Seems a bit off the ranch to suggest, but have you take the photo to a fabricator. At $200+ you may be able to buy some fab time, I know the hot rod fab shops in my area can "reportedly" reproduce anything—at least they do for the american hot rods and money is universal.
I would assume that these were stamped, but a brake, english wheel, and a tig followed by a chrome plating. Metal shaping magic might get you the look you want as you have all the other physical variables: car, lights, covers, and accurate photos.

At least keep the conversation going. Something will work out...

·
chiuso per ferie
11,758 Posts
Sad news. Not the end of the world yet. If people know you want them and are willing to pay "appropriately" they will pop up somewhere. US, Europe, Canada...
Seems a bit off the ranch to suggest, but have you take the photo to a fabricator. At $200+ you may be able to buy some fab time, I know the hot rod fab shops in my area can "reportedly" reproduce anything—at least they do for the american hot rods and money is universal.
I would assume that these were stamped, but a brake, english wheel, and a tig followed by a chrome plating. Metal shaping magic might get you the look you want as you have all the other physical variables: car, lights, covers, and accurate photos.

At least keep the conversation going. Something will work out...
I've spoken with the guy that refurnished the chassis of my car. I thought we could use a bead roller to roll out the rings. He seems to think if we had the other bits for them, he could put out a few an hour. But, you really don't know until you get after it. We'd need some dies made for his bead roller. That would be the big expense. Then, there'd need to be some dry runs and proto types made. I'm not in a position anymore where I can afford that sort of investment.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not in a position anymore where I can afford that sort of investment.
I can relate. After reading some other posts it seems that there was some considerable efforts made and subsequent disappointment regarding the developing of a universal system that the market was willing to pay for. Nothing is for free, but if there was demand then maybe a suitable aftermarket recreation (plug and play) would still be created. But if this "trim ring" was only available on non US cars?? for 1 year only??? Sounds like either a originality-concourse issue vs. owner taste dilemma.

I was planning (in due corse) on buying the kit from Biba Restorations or Re-origninals, happily. I can't just glue the money directly to the car and have it look as good.

Additionally, I got the impression that there are DOT issues?? with the lens covers, or were?? Tough to sell automotive products if they are not street legal.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
If not an originality thing then Highwood and Classic Alfa sell rear buckets and all the hardware to convert. I personally like the rear configuration better.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could someone post a photo of this type of trim ring? - I might have a pair. Dave B.
Here are the pix that I have. Hope they give guidance. Can I buy yours if in fact you have a pair? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
prefer the US solution

I have the euro rings and have yet to impliment that solution on my Duetto...still need the euro buckets. Aesthetically I much prefer the US solution with the more pronounced chrome rings. I'd be interested in a reproduction if it were available.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been down the same road. Looking for the past three years. Several people like reorigionals & Biba say they can supply, but can't. I've seen 1 pair for sale on ebay several years ago, but didn't buy.

At the end of the day, I don't think we will find what we need. So, here is a tip. Buy a set of headlight trim rings for a MGB. With a little mod they will fit.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Could you please describe the details of modifying the MGB headlight rims?

...At the end of the day, I don't think we will find what we need. So, here is a tip. Buy a set of headlight trim rings for a MGB. With a little mod they will fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been down the same road. Looking for the past three years. Several people like reorigionals & Biba say they can supply, but can't. I've seen 1 pair for sale on ebay several years ago, but didn't buy.

At the end of the day, I don't think we will find what we need. So, here is a tip. Buy a set of headlight trim rings for a MGB. With a little mod they will fit.
Great suggestion. I'll try it, as it sounds a lot easier and cheaper than fabricating.
BTW, I tried mounting my existing buckets from behind and stopped as it seemed I was hacking up my paint job, holes were missing, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
MGB headlight rims are available from MG, Triumph, Austin Healey, Sunbeam Tiger - Victoria British, Ltd. for $19.95 each on page 168 of the on line catalog. Not too bad if the modification can be done and the result is acceptable. I'm assuming these parts would also mount on the later Spiders with the slightly different headlight recess contour. This would provide the finishing touch for the planned fabricated Lexan headlight bubbles for my S4 spider (as everyone likely knows the Carrelo bubbles don't fit the later Spiders).

That would be extremely helpful. Also, can anyone suggest a reputable supplier that I can order the MGB trims from?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts