Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The parts sold from the vendors don't seem to apply to my Duetto front suspension. The lock nut and cap are for the four hole, not two hole frame mounting bar it would seem. I kept my old lock tab and nonrotating keyed washer along with the nut, just in case.
I will have to contact the parts vendors to see if 105.00.21.354.00, 105.0021.338.00, 105.00.21.337.00 are available new.
Can someone tell me if the foam piece goes inside or outside? The bushing on 105.00.21.024.04 would seem to have the foam washer on the inside with the green spring clip and clear sealer cover on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The innermost washer was present when I took off the wishbone. When reinstalled it does not interface with the inner portion of the bushing sold now. It does not slip on the end where I've placed the foam piece. Easy enough to wire brush the washers and reuse them, but something isn't quite right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I haven't had to replace mine, but I have the caps only on the driver's side. There were 2 sets of bushings in with the parts that came with the car. I tried to use the caps on the side without them and they were too big. I contacted the PO and he said that they were the wrong parts. I'm just curious about the difference's between the later 4 bolt A arms and the smaller 2 hole Duetto A arm. Also who carries the smaller caps?

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
Wes:
If the distance between the 2 reinforced holes in the chassis match the 1750 or 2 liter`s 4 holes on the A arm bracket, I would suggest using those, as parts are available.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard, how would you bolt the 4 hole wishbone to your chassis with only two holes on my chassis?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked Alfaholics about strength vs a 4 bolt as some people have welded in a 4 bolt crossmember, but the welding seems excessive. They race theirs, a GTV, with a 2 hole wishbone so seems a good endorsement on the two hole.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Do the new bushings fit into the pieces that go between the piece on the frame and the lower ball joint? I know the new caps are bigger. I haven't done mine, but I'm hoping to learn from your experience.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go Tom if this is what you want to see. I am just getting into this with Spinaci. The front suspension pans are different, as is the spring setup. I don't see these types of spring setups online, but don't think it matters too much because you can reuse your innermost washer and outer washers with cleanup, and even make your own outermost lock tabs from thin metal along with loctite blue. The threads and nuts are precious it seems so don't buger them. Otherwise you'll be going to have the ends brazed and rethreaded. I am switching to the later spring pans and we will see how the tops of the springs will work. I have to cleanup all these parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Harborfreight press broke, no surprise I guess, so have to buy another and a tumbler. I bought the performance spring pans to make my car go faster. Actually, I bought them because I figured the dirt would get out easier than factory, LOL, really.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice spring pans 5HP apiece I've heard. I use the old spring pans to catch oil to stop the springs from squeaking. Everything works but the hardware. That's good to know. I'll have to find a set of caps for the side that they're missing from. Mine have grease fittings to nowhere on these joints for some reason.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have caps? My early Duetto and late Duetto cars never had caps. No caps show in the Duetto parts catalogue above Tom. I remember someone saying the bushings would freeze and stress things and they would break the car. Maybe that is what the zerks were for???

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mine has caps on one side. I'll have to get under there and take a look. Maybe the side pieces were changed out with a later models? Anything can happen on over 50 years. So the caps on a Duetto weren't required as per the parts manual. I'll stop worrying about not having them. I re bushed the upper control arm, changed out the steering box and idler, and replaced all the tie rod ends. The A arm bushings were replaced just before I bought the car so I probably have some time left in them

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bushings can freeze up, or so I remember. Mine will get some grease. The caps are a help to prevent salt/road grime from getting am I am pretty sure. Not something any other than an OCD person is going to take apart and grease.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I think that you can use the more robust later side pieces of the A arms on the two bolt center. That would solve the hardware problem. Duetto's originally had rubber bushes now replaced with the new joints, so they wouldn't need caps. I still don't understand the zerk fittings. Even with rubber bushings they wouldn't lubricate anything. Didn't know that the springs were different

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Your orientation of the washer is correct - the green retaining spring and the cork washer go towards the inside of the A arm. The '67 1600 had no dust cap on the outside nut of the lower A arm. My dogbone is the two-bolt type as well.

I posted some experience here on a front suspension thread, page 8...

I've had good luck with Classic Alfa in the UK.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I still don't understand the zerk fittings.
Send a picture for entertainment.
I've had good luck with Classic Alfa in the UK.
I emailed Giles and the newer stuff is what they have. No worries, my washers are getting cleaned up along with the nuts and bolts and I will be environmentallyc eco conciously friendly and recycle. It is the West Coast, although I like new parts look too. Somebody want these bits?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Grazi Vivace. You have a very beautiful car. Gray is spectacular. I am fond of Vivo Verde as it was the color I first had in college, and met my girl, who has put up with me since 1975.
You know, that cupped washer does not show in the Alfa diagram. Must have been Friday afternoon in Milan.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts