Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Guys - A little help, please. I purchased a 67 Duetto with a messed up nose (yes, I got a deal). The PO crumpled the nose and replaced most of it with a Series 2 nose. I’ve been able to find most of the body and chrome parts to rebuild it properly. But I haven’t located the bars that attach to the radiator mount shown in your photo. Also, can’t find thorough documentation of all the parts and pieces. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OssoDiseppia - thanks... the 1600 Spider Manual is a truly wonderful set of drawings. But a detailed assembly manual it's certainly not. I've combed through the manual several times since purchasing my Duetto. Maybe I'm missing something? These three pages from the manual show generally some of the parts and fasteners for the front bumper.

In my search I've examined several "original" Duetto bumpers on cars and looked closely at photos of restorations. There's a bunch of pieces and parts needed to attach to bumper to the car frame and body.

Am I looking at in the wrong place? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,788 Posts
I haven’t located the bars that attach to the radiator mount shown in your photo.
Are you referring to that rectangular cross-section tubing painted red in this photo:

If so, that's welded to the unibody and not available as a separate part. In looking at my own Duetto, I see that the R side tube was missing when I got it (which is odd, as the front end didn't appear damaged). I bolted a piece of angle iron to the body as a substitute.

·
Registered
24 Posts
AlfaJay - yes that's part of the puzzle.
Thanks for sending the photo - hard to see much.
Might you be able to take a couple more brightly lite photos at all the points of connection?

·
Super Moderator
10,788 Posts
Thanks for sending the photo - hard to see much.
Might you be able to take a couple more brightly lite photos at all the points of connection?
Here's my picture, though since my car is assembled I think RPHIL40342's shots are better. This is the side I re-made using angle iron. Wish I could show how it is attached to the body, but the camera just couldn't capture it from that angle. Basically two machine screws installed vertically. Notice that my improvised angle iron (and I think the factory tubes) are bent slightly upward just ahead of where they fasten to the body.

·
Super Moderator
10,788 Posts
It isn't clear if this thread should be in the "Parts Wanted" section or the "Spider" section. Is that square tubing the only part you need? Or do you need removable parts like that silver bar that runs horizontally across the top of the photo in your post #1?

If all you need is the tubing, and since that isn't available separately (unless someone cuts one off a body), then maybe this thread would get more attention if it were in the "Spider" section.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The upshot may be that the nose assembly doesn't have "authoritative" assembly documentation. It's been said that the same Alfa models are made differently depending on which day of the week the car rolled through the plant...

Certainly there have been hundreds, maybe thousands of Spider nose jobs out there and all slightly different? And, as someone pointed out, the Duetto / Spider bumper is more of an ornament then an actual safety feature. Given that, it seems the bumper and grill attachments need to allow for adjustment to get the "look" and alignment just right.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,151 Posts
.... And, as someone pointed out, the Duetto / Spider bumper is more of an ornament then an actual safety feature.
It serves more than an ornamental piece. It's to make noise when you hit something.

Given that, it seems the bumper and grill attachments need to allow for adjustment to get the "look" and alignment just right.
The bumpers are adjustable using the brackets in the very fist picture. The grille is fairly fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts