Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a new - 25 year old - Vinyl top on the Duetto . Yes - it had to be stretched and worked with. So all is great , tight as a drum skin , I thought ! Turns out the seal between the front bow and windscreen frame isn't good, and it's hard to latch. The ridge on the top of the windscreen frame dosen mate with groove in the gasket -when latched.
So I had a new look. The problem might be a distance problem , between the peg on the latch and catch (guide for peg on the windscreen frame) . Things fit better when I latch the top and lett the peg go on the back side of the catch . Measuring distance with a ruler (photo) ,shows that is something not right.
Looks to me like the catch should have been about 1/4" ( 5-6mm) further back - as if there is a spacer or something missing- to put it out a little farther from the windscreen frame. Please look at the photos and comment !
The previous owner has also had some problems in this department . He/she has cut in the molding on the front bow- to move the latch further forward. ( have all ways wondered why that was done).

Guide/catch the way it is- should there be a spacer or something between the frame and catch ?

3 cm between peg tip and groove in gasket

Only 2.5 cm (or less) between catch/gide and ridge that goes in the gasket

What ya think ?

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
There is a metal backing plate that goes between the bracket and the windscreen frame.
Classicalfa IN129/1 sells the part. Nylon tops typically fit tight but the locating guide tab on the clamp should fit in this part
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That just might do the trick . looks like it will cover up som plastic cracks too. Thought I knew all CA's parts , but I hadn't noticed that one. Thanks !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts