Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a full replacement system from Alfaholics for my '66 Duetto. Now that I have the correct exhaust parts on hand with the front and middle sections installed, I'm not sure the transmission-to-exhaust bracket is the correct one. It has obviously been redrilled to fit the old system, but it seems about 1.5 inches too long.

In searching around the site I've found references to different length brackets, but nothing with a dimension. Can someone provide the length of an original bracket so I can see what direction I need to go with this?

Here's a picture of the bracket I have which measures 15" end-to-end. From the looks of things, I need one that is around 13.5". Also, for fun, here's a picture of my assistant mechanic. She's not so good with wrenches but can keep the cats organized like there's no tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Thats the correct bracket. The problem is the company that makes the exhaust puts the hanging pedal bracket on the front exhaust. The floor pedal cars have a completely different bracket.

I've posted a picture of my 69 duetto. I put a CISAM 1 piece on it 25 years ago. They were the OEM manufacturer of alfa exhaust. As you can see the shape of the bracket coming off the exhaust is different.

I couldn't get Alfaholics page to open but heres a picture of Classic Alfas page. You can see the difference between to to.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the correct bracket. The problem is the company that makes the exhaust puts the hanging pedal bracket on the front exhaust. The floor pedal cars have a completely different bracket.

I've posted a picture of my 69 duetto. I put a CISAM 1 piece on it 25 years ago. They were the OEM manufacturer of alfa exhaust. As you can see the shape of the bracket coming off the exhaust is different.

I couldn't get Alfaholics page to open but heres a picture of Classic Alfas page. You can see the difference between to to.
That explains it. The exhaust system I removed was retrofitted from a GTV many years ago and I wasn't sure if I had the original bracket, but apparently I do. Now, the problem is that it doesn't fit the new exhaust.

Maybe I'll get a used late model Spider bracket from APE and adapt it to work, although it might be just as easy to fabricate one from scratch.

I couldn't get the Alfaholics page to open either; maybe their site is down. I'd take a picture of the bracket on the part I have, but it's storming like crazy right now (YES! we need the water) and I don't feel like getting soaked.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Stopwatch,

You will find that the later bracket on the transmission won't work. The earlier transmission bracket is longer so it could be notched out for the brake master cylinder.

Look at the picture of my car and you will see what I mean.

You are going to have to make a correct shaped bracket and weld it to your new exhaust or modify the bracket on the new exhaust to make it work.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will find that the later bracket on the transmission won't work.
Thanks for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'll fabricate a new bracket to fit; I have the original to start with.

A little cardboard, a little cutting, grinding, drilling, (if I'm lucky) welding and painting never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To close the loop on this job, I ended up fabricating a new bracket using the original as a place to start and made a template from posterboard. Using mild steel scrap I had on hand, a little time on my bandsaw, grinder and mig welder and the job was done, all topped off with some FBP (fresh black paint).

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts