Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a bit of a dumb question but will a duetto dash fit in a 74 spider..... i just love how all the european spiders have those types of dashes so is it possible ... what are the posible problems. note i do not care about the resale value.... my spider is in tip top condition but has around 160k miles on it so the value is already shot.. either way i plan on keeping it for as long as i can.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Only the "Junior" kamm-tail Spider's had the metal Duetto-Style dash and lacking center console. 1750 and 2000 Spiders had the dual-pod dash and console, whether in Europe or the US.

·
Registered
572 Posts
this is just my opinion, but the dashes on the '74 are way cooler than the duetto! Seems like a backward move to me.

My checklist for a cool '74 - do you have all these things done?

•body work - removal of US side marker lights, add the euro one up front
•carello headlight covers and proper headlight rings and set up - good to set up when you do the marker lights and any other body work
•set of Cromodora daytona's, panasports, or Momo vega's wheels

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
. my spider is in tip top condition but has around 160k miles on it so the value is already shot..
whoa....your spider is a true classic....160K miles does not cause the value to be "shot".....if it's in good condition it's valuable....an engine can be rebuilt and as long as values of these cars keep going up, it's truly worth it. To each his own though, if you like the earlier style dash (like I do), go for it. You should be able to make it fit easily, I would think as the earliest, Junior Kamms had it. Just don't throw away the old setup

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
soccersimon: From his photo, it looks like criler already has headlight covers & aftermarket wheels.

gang: No one has really addressed criler's question - will the dash from a roundtail fit a squaretail? I honestly don't know - my guess would be "no", because the windshields are so different. I'm guessing that the front curve of a squaretail dash extends more toward the front of the car (eg, has a shorter radius). So, I'm guessing that if you installed a Duetto dash into a squaretail chassis, there would be a gap between the front of the dash, and the more raked windshield. Now, you might fill that gap by pop riveting a piece of sheetmetal to your Duetto dash, and putting upholstery over the scar. Also, would there be any relationship between the mounting points on the two types of cars?

My vote for an improvement to a squaretail interior would be to delete the console. To my eye, it just looks dated and consumes scarce volume from an already tight interior.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I know the rake of the windshield is different, but the reason I thought it would fit is that the early Kamm tails (Juniors only) in Europe had the old style dash. Alfa would never design a dash specifically for an interim Junior....It's more like the model where they would use up old left over parts, I would think. I guess the only way to find out is if someone who owns a Kamm tail with the Duetto dash could measure

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
You know, maybe it could be made to fit.

I went out and looked at my Duetto, and decided that while the squaretail windshields are more raked, the front curves of both cars' windshields are the same. The increased rake in the squaretails results from its top being further back - not the bottom being further forward. Note the difference in the design of the vent windows in the two cars: the Duetto's is a right triangle, while the squaretail's has one angle > 90 degrees. Also, both cars use the same sheetmetal for the louvered cover above the windshield wiper mechanism, so now I'm deciding that both round & square tail cars do have the same curve at the lower base of the windshield.

Having said all of that, no amount of measurement is going to definitively answer your question. You are just going to have to take out your squaretail dash, beg/steal/borrow/buy a Duetto dash, and see how it fits. There are countless areas requiring attention on these sort of modifications, including mounting holes & brackets, heater ducts, wiring, etc. etc. The question really isn't "will it fit?" - the question is "how much work will it take to get it to fit?"

I know that you wrote: "..the reason I thought it would fit is that the early Kamm tails (Juniors only) in Europe had the old style dash. Alfa would never design a dash specifically for an interim Junior....", but I wouldn't be too sure that Alfa wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
from my poking around on ebay Italy it appears that the juniors were made well into the late 70's with the early dash. serveral cars for auction there with that set up.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Windscreen and soft top are different on a Kamm-tail (Square tail) 1300/1600 than on a Duetto (Round-tail) but the dash is the same.

Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce by Wille R.

with some short but useful information.

Cordially

1 - 10 of 10 Posts