Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was out for a ride in my 1967 Duetto. About 5 miles into the ride went to use the breaks, NOTHING! I could pump them to get a little breaking action, but that would not hold. Using the gears and the hand break I got it home without issue. In the garage I could not even pump up the breaks. In an attempt to diagnose the problem I looked for leaks. I could not find any leaks and there was no drop in the break fluid reservoir. This is an unmodified single circuit break system without boost and ATE calipers. So I thought it must be the master cylinder, what else could it be. I ordered a new MC and installed it, drained and replaced the DOT 5 break fluid in the reservoir and the same thing no breaking at all, the only resistance in the spring in the MC, not much when pressing on the peddle! After repeated pumping of the new MC, I could not find any leaks and there was no drop in the break fluid reservoir. I disassembled the old MC and it looked fine.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Did you bleed all 4 calipers after replacing the MC, starting with the one farthest from the master? If not, the original problem may have been the MC but now you have large air pockets in the lines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No leaks, no drop in brake fluid level, and no brakes. I'd like to help but you've got me stumped. It's a closed system. I suppose the pump in the MC might have gone bad but they usually give you some warning. (Soft peddle) Your new MC should be bench bled before installation, but if it's already in place you can try a cheap brake bleed kit from Harbor Frieght. Go to the farthest bleed screw from the MC and work your way to the closest. Did the peddle go to the floor when you lost brakes ? Let me know what you find since I'm driving the same set up. Thanks.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts