Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the board, and Alfa Romeos in general, but I have the cash to buy my first vintage car (and also finally got the OK from the wife) and would like it to be an Alfa Romeo Duetto. I'm only 27, but have been a Ferrari enthusiast for a number of years and been involved with Ferraris in a number of different areas, including as a former administrator for the Ferrari Historic Challenge. However, Ferraris are out of my price range for now, so I thought what better way to start my vintage car ownership than with a Pininfarina Italian sports car like the Duetto?? If you wish to learn a little more about me please feel free to visit my website:

scuderia.cc

Now for what I am looking for. I am seeking a 1966-1967 Alfa Duetto with the following qualifications:

1) Red exterior, black interior. No offense to the other colors, and believe me when I say I am glad and can appreciate that every Duetto is not red, but my first one has to be red.
2) Covered headlights. For me personally, I think it makes the lines flow better.
3) As original as possible. I have no plans on making this a show car, but rather a relatively frequent driver. Car has to have original wheels (love those, not the later upgrades), proper interior. I don't particularly care if the paint is not absolutely perfect (note driving ambitions above), but I am NOT looking for a project car. If it might need a repaint at sometime in the future, no problem, but I'm not interested in doing any body work, so no rusty examples please.
4) Original engine. Would potentially consider a Duetto with a 1750 upgrade, but no 2L's.
5) I would also consider a Euro 1750 roundtail with the above qualifications, but I want to teach myself how to clean and rebuild carbs, so I'm not interested in a SPICA car.
6) Ideal car would have complete known history. Not a deal breaker, but as a Ferrari historian, this part is compelling to me. Either way, I will work to document the car's complete history.

I'm located in South Florida, just outside of Miami, so if a car like this exists somewhere down here or on the Eastern half of the US, that would be great so I don't have to pay 10-20% of the purchase price to ship the car. My price range is $15-$20K.

If someone knows of a custodian of a car that might fit the description above and would be willing to pass it onto the next generation, please let me know.

Best contact is via email (if possible just use email rather than PM).

[email protected]

Thanks for your time

-Jarrett

P.S. If I do find the right car and there is someone local who might be interested in mentoring me a little bit in the proper way to care for these cars, I would certainly be interested, so drop me a line.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Shoulda had your roll at the recent Alfa Convention. There were some 18 present, with 12 in the concourse. Would have been a good chance to see a bunch and maybe drive one home. You may be on the very edge of, or below, the price point for the Duetto in a condition you cite. Look through the For Sale postings of past for some ideas. There are a lot of other differences from a 67 Duetto to a 69 roundtail (Spider Veloce) besides aspiration, including the wheel size, engine size, brakes, and more subtle details. I assume you know all this though. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alfanuts. Yes I've been following the market for about the last 6-8 months and have done some research on the Duettos and 1750s. I've also watched the prices pretty closely, both here, on eBay and other places and I know that cars do sell within my range that are in the condition I'm looking for. Ideally I would rather work directly with an owner as opposed to eBay (or especially a dealer), which was the primary reason for my post here.

I do realize that most people with the best cars probably believe they are worth somewhere in the $25-$35K range (some might even think higher), but thats just out of my range right now and also above what I have seen the market bear as of late (might not have been the case back in 2007-2008, but I saw what I would consider a #1-1.5 condition '69 1750 Euro spider sell for $23.5K on ebay a few months ago). Not to say they aren't worth that much either, as they very well might be to the right collector with cash in the bank. That's just not my profile, so I want to be upfront to save anyone the hassle.

At any rate, I'm in no particular hurry and would rather wait for the car I really want as opposed to settling on one. Just wanted to get the word out in case there happen to be something that made sense.

Best

-Jarrett

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just be patient, keep searching, one will come your way......... keep eye on Atlanta craigs list, more alfas there than anywhere else in S.E. ....

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
My point above. I have had several Supers inspected that turned out to be good looking shiny $hit. Only an intense and knowledgeable inspection revealed this. But they can be had in this range, look at Peter's from last year. Very solid 3+ for $18k on e-Bay. We were amazed it took so much effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips, words of wisdom and general caution. I agree with all of the above. I used to spend time in Paul Russell's shop on occasion (grew up in the Boston area) and Paul and I have talked in detail about the cost of body repair. He mainly does Mercedes and Ferrari with an occasional Bugatti thrown in, so a little bit higher end, but nonetheless, I understand the economics, and its not pretty on a car that might be worth $30K on its best day. Paul's general rule of thumb is that whatever rust is visible upon inspection is typically about 10% of what actually exists.

So we'll see what life throws at me. If the right car comes along at the right price, I'm ready to pull the trigger. If not, well then I'll keep saving my pennies see what else comes my way.

Best

-Jarrett

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow, it's a roundtail, it's red, has Webers, in Miami, seller says it has no rust (it doesn't rain or get humid there in Miami, does it? ;)), ....

Oops, doesn't have covered headlights.
Why drill holes in an Alfa for some plastic covers that just turn yellow eventually?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Why drill holes in an Alfa for some plastic covers that just turn yellow eventually?
Agree. Or fly off on the road. And which just do not look finished compared to their more expensive brethren with proper trim on the edges. Looks and behaves more like an afterthought to me. IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI, the 69 listed on eBay went for $21,600. Well bought !

Alfa Romeo : Spider | eBay
There was some interesting bidding on this car. For most of the auction, it had a "Buy It Now" price of $18,500. If someone was willing to pay $21.6K, why not just use the buy it now early in the auction? Guess some aggressive bidders came late to the party and the seller wisely removed the "buy it now" toward the end.

-Jarrett

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
I'm located in South Florida, just outside of Miami, so if a car like this exists somewhere down here or on the Eastern half of the US, that would be great so I don't have to pay 10-20% of the purchase price to ship the car. My price range is $15-$20K.
67Duetto said:
FYI, the 69 listed on eBay went for $21,600.
Jarrett:

I hope you were the buyer, because you're unlikely to find anything closer to your "shopping list", closer to home, and pretty much within your price range.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
There was some interesting bidding on this car. For most of the auction, it had a "Buy It Now" price of $18,500. If someone was willing to pay $21.6K, why not just use the buy it now early in the auction? Guess some aggressive bidders came late to the party and the seller wisely removed the "buy it now" toward the end.

-Jarrett
The seller didn't remove it, that's just the way eBay works. Once the reserve price is hit the "Buy-it-now" automatically goes away. In this case, the bidders' unwillingness to hit the button was worth another $3k to the seller. Lesson? If you want the car, and the BIN is fair, use it.

-Jason

·
Registered
343 Posts
worth another $3k to the seller. Lesson? If you want the car, and the BIN is fair, use it.

-Jason
That is so true but there are still lots of "old school" buyers for a 40+ years old car. These people do NOT buy on impulse to hit the BIN button. They want to talk to the seller to know more about the cars, asking service records, ownership histories or even make appointment to look at the car. Probably multiple bidders did that as reflected in the final bid price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello, I have one for sale in case anyone on this thread is still looking. Thanks.

1969 ALFA ROMEO 1750 SPIDER VELOCE ROUNDTAIL
VIN 1412732
93,280 ORIGINAL MILES
EUROPEAN MODEL
DELL'ORTO CARBURETORS
BLACK INTERIOR / GREEN PAINT
BLACK LEATHER SEATS WITH CLOTH MIDDLE PANEL
BRAND NEW TOP FRAME AND CANVAS
ORIGINAL WOOD STEERING WHEEL
MOMO VEGA RIMS
NEEDS SOME COSMETIC WORK
SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE