Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of a '90 air-conditioned Graduate, I continue to discover new things about my car every day. Admittedly I am a neophyte as far are auto mechanics are concerned by the standards shown on this forum but I am willing to learn. The car is in good condition but in the course of locating the source of a small amount of water on the floor of the passenger's side, I learned a great deal about cowl drains and other possibilities. One of my advisors suggested that it might be condensation formed when the a/c is used. In checking that possibility out, I poked around and the attached shows what I found. The Cooler unit (identified from my CarDisk) might or might not be leaking but the greater question is:"Is this unit supposed to be factory-sealed in order to work and/or is the duct tape sufficient to keep this unit performing. Of course I know that much of the A/C system is under pressure and should not be tampered with by an amataeur but what about this Cooler unit. I will certainly appreciate any comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Duct tape was apparently factory approved for the Spider Veloce air conditioners in 1979 and 1981. Both my current 79 project and my former 81 had duct tape to cover the hole in the firewall where the hoses enter/exit and the fender as well. My 91 did not have the duct tape, it was replaced with a more refined a/c system.

After 30 years duct tape kinds of turns into a bunch of threads and silver paper.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bradartigue, a greater question must still be asked-Why do normal people like those who are regular people otherwise put up with duct tape abuse. I've owned a '64 Spider and later a '74 GTV and now a '90 Spider. Why have I come back and why does the Alfa marque have such brand loyality? Apparently there's no particular cure or my wife would have already arranged for treatment.
Still need an answer to the question re the Cooler Unit question-Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've heard duct tape described as like The Force in the Star Wars films, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the Universe together.

It's also approved for most major repairs on Alfas, in fact I've found that you can fix most faults using duct tape and/or zip ties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts