Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '74 Spider (single points Marelli distributor). I recently bought a spare engine--mid-late '70's Spica engine. It has a dual point Marelli distributor. Will the dual point work on the '74 ? It has two wires from distributor ,rather than one wire--any performance advantage? Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have 2 off those distributors

what i know off them that it was for gas emisions in CA, there has too be a relay with the engine withs makes it work too get lower emisions.

there is info about them in the 105 gtv thread.

hope i helped i little bid.

best regards Han

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
There's no performance advantage to using a 77-79 dual point. The second set of points was used to retard the ignition timing under certain engine conditions. The dizzy can however be used as a spare; just use only one set of points.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Hey Jim,

Do you know if I can use just one of the sensor outputs on an '80-'81 MarelliPlex in the same way you just described? Will it provide the performence and starting advantages of a regular single sensor Plex? What kind of curve? I've got the dizzy packed away right now so I'm not even sure how to distinguish which sensor to use. I'd either be using this in a '69 Berlina w/Spica 1750 or a '73 GTV w/'80 Spica 2L. Would the curve be better suited for one engine than the other? The '80 engine will probably wind up with a '74 Spica w/1750 or 10548 cams. Maybe I'd be better off selling this Plex to someone in a strict emissions state with and '80-'81 Spider and buying something else. Thanks for any input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts