Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the clutch disc thickness spec. for a dual disc clutch? I have one that was rebuilt but the discs are too thick and it will not engage.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that makes sense since these disc are over 8 mm thick.

·
Richard Jemison
7,185 Posts
Issues with clutch disk

If the disk were too thick it would not RELEASE. It would ne locked in the Engaged situation.
The controling measurement is the amout of return to clear the front disk which will clear about 8.5mm
The problem sounds more like a clutch release issue involving the slave cyl & rod. These take a different length (shorter) rod & if you bought a replacement it most likely is a generic Milano one.
As well the twin disk fits the input shafts only on the GTV6`s that they came on. Spline size & count is the same but splines are longer & cut through on the rear. Other input shafts Alfetta, Milano etc will cause the outer disk hub to bind on the rear of the splines.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the clutch shop my mechanic sent it to (not the guys who rebuilt it originally) say, yes it is too thick. typical 4mm disc plus thickness of metal mounting suface. They say they have to re machine the metal surfaces or something like that (I didn't speak directly to them) and it will be the same price as a total rebuild. So now I have two dual disc setups that need rebuilding. Whats a guy to do? Well I'm having a Milano single disc clutch relined and will put the $300 savings into something else.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The two discs are also different. A wrong sequence of installation could also cause trouble. Do you know which disc to install first?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I do not. This is the first dual disc GTV6 I have owned and am not installing it myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts