Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

while working on my 24v 164 I 'cleverly' managed to drop a short 6mm hex driver from my socket set into the V, where I heard it bounce a couple of times - never to be seen again.
I can only assume it has gone deep into the V of the block, below the steel water pipe. Question: any ideas on the chances of this ever bouncing out and getting into the lower cam belt pully?

Thanks,

Richard :(

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Richard, depending on where in the V you dropped it, it is probably unlikely that it will spill over into the cam belt area, but I'm guessing you want the tool back, so what you need to do is get a long tool with a magnet on the end of it and try and pull it out. They also have a long tool with a claw on the end.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Richard:

Yes. What Sean said. Get a magnet after it. Get one of those kludgey 4-arm grabber tools after it. Do it and you will not regret it. Don't do it and you might just regret not doing it.

Michael

Now that I got that off my chest, I will say that I pulled a loose intake manifold bolt from the V of a car recently. If you don't make a habit of flipping them (keep the G's positive during vertical rolls), then you probably won't notice it. But why not keep your options open?

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Since the 24v doesn't have oil gauge pressure sender in V of block you should be able to go in from the back of V under water pipe and fish it out with a flexible stick magnet.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of those suggestions.

I have a telescopic tool with a magnetic end but have no idea where the little hex tool has gone and have yet to find any way of getting a visual. The hex tool is only about 20mm long and 6 to 10mm in diameter, depending on which end you are looking at. To get the magnet under the water pipe I think I'd need to go in from the side, via removing a wheel, plastic wheel liners, etc. Is that true peeps?

Thanks a lot,

Richard

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Thanks for all of those suggestions.

I have a telescopic tool with a magnetic end but have no idea where the little hex tool has gone and have yet to find any way of getting a visual. The hex tool is only about 20mm long and 6 to 10mm in diameter, depending on which end you are looking at. To get the magnet under the water pipe I think I'd need to go in from the side, via removing a wheel, plastic wheel liners, etc. Is that true peeps?

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Just go in at back of engine at V under water pipe with a magnet on a flexible stick. I doubt a telescoping one will do you much good. Maybe with top of air cleaner and AFM assembly removed you could get your magnet type in there. Going through wheel well won't do it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for those replies. Will give it a go tomorrow. Would be far happier knowing there wasn't a potential cam-belt snapping time bomb lurking down below.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
It's not so much that it _will_ eat your t-belt, as that it should be possible to remove all chance of that with small effort. A certain nervous uncertainty has a way of removing some of the pleasures of life, and said uncertainty would be better removed.

Michael

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
You may also try high pressure air or watter. I have a air blower with a long cylinder. I dropped a intake hex bolt down there and I blew it out.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Be glad it fell in the V. On my 12V I dropped a 10mm socket on top of the tranny housing where the rubber cover over the tranny/clutch is/was. Yep, it fell in there and grinded/gouged a nice big ole rip in the housing. Needless to say a tranny rebuild was in order. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Took another look at the situation regarding the tool dropped into the V, bearing in mind the comments posted on the topic, and decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Have driven the car since, at high rpm and lateral G, and still in once piece. Aware there is an off-chance it could slip out and snap the cam-belt but the cost/risk factor of that, compared to the cost factor of striving to remove the tool and all the other things that might need replacing in the process, is something I have decided to risk. Ideally I would remove the tool - practically I will leave it to stay or remove itself.

Hope I haven't horrified anyone too much.

Richard

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
The screw I mentioned pulling out of the V in post #3 above had been there quite a while without jumping into the timing hardware. Your hardware will probably stay where it is. It is just more satisfying to have it in hand. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The screw I mentioned pulling out of the V in post #3 above had been there quite a while without jumping into the timing hardware. Your hardware will probably stay where it is. It is just more satisfying to have it in hand. Best wishes.

Thanks. I absolutely agree.

Richard :)

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
You give up too easily! Get a strong light and a magnet tool and get that sucker out of there, please! :eek: You didn't say whether you even tried much to get it out or not! It's your car, but it's not a good idea to leave it, at all. IMHO. You don't even have to see it for the magnet tool to grab it, just poke the thing down there and the magnet will find it, I am quite sure! I've been in these kind of situations before, myself. I once drop an entire 3/8" socket wrench and socket past the CIS air distributor butterfly of my 928, I forget how I managed to do that, but I got it out. Talk about a panic attack!
Charles

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Guys,

I have tried sticking a magnet tool down there but with no joy. The access is severely restricted and the tool I dropped (a 2cm long 6mm hex bit) is so small it has gone really deep. Even a friend who works for Jaguar and has access to an endoscope reckons it woud be hard to even see with that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts